Chapter | Fourteen

"No, I'll go. you two wait here" Elaine states . She circles a bit, watching the nursing staff rearranging his room. If he's found in one piece, she won't know if the doctor will take him back in.

We might have to switch hospitals.

"Are you sure? I can call an Uber," she, keeps her hand placed on the young girl's middle back. Rubbing it in smooth circles.

"I'll be fine. I'd like you to be with her just until I get back". The woman agrees with a gentle smile.

"I will inform the police,". She pulled away.

The last thing Mary wants is to be alone with her, "I'm going with you," Maryanne says to Elaine. Her eyes are puffy.

"I need you to stay. I can't have you wondering the streets again," She wipes the last of the tears stained on her face. Mary pushes her hand away.

"I'll be wondering the streets with you. I know my dad, I can help you!". In honesty, there was more to the reason why she didn't want Mary to go with her.

"Precious, I'm not asking. Stay with Mrs. Morello". Mary thinks this was one of her schemes to trick her into making friends with the woman. "No! I'm not a baby. I've lived on the streets my entire life. I can take care of myself," one of her peeve is people making her feel like she's incapable. Yet, Elaine knows she truly hasn't reach the maturity.

"I know that, but I might be gone for a while. I wouldn't be a responsible adult if I let you stay out for that long. Besides, Mrs. Morello Is on the phone with the police, so there a chance they will find him before I get back.".

"If they don't?". She tilts her head and fold her arms, challenging the older woman's notion. Saucy attitude, She could help but cave at how cute she was being.

"If they don't. I will allow you to stay up as long as you want and give you all the sweets this place has to offer. Deal?" Elaine bill and coo at her.

"Mmmm. Fine, but what about her?" Mary point in the direction of Angeline, who looks distressed—hand running through her hair.

"I have no control over that. if she wants to stay, she can. I have to go. Be nice!" She rushes out. Mary roll her eyes.

Angeline comes back, puffing out her cheeks, "They said they'll be on the look out, but it isn't guaranteed since he hasn't been missing for over 24 hours".

"Thanks again. I can't tell, you enough you are truly heaven sent," Elaine says.

"It's no problem at all, she will be fine here".

"I'll be back," she waves and Mary does a small wave back. Slightly upset and a little emotional that everyone is leaving her. Angeline rests both hands on Mary's shoulders.

"Okay sweetie. Shall we get something to eat?"

-||-

Elaine is already few feet away from the building when she contemplates if she should take the bus or continue on foot. It seemed like a good idea at first, but now calculating how long it will take her makes her body ache. Yet, her motivation is Mary, from the time she cured her from a mysterious illness years ago untill now. She has watched over and took care of children in the past, baby sat nieces and nephews. Yet, She's never cared or sacrificed this much for a child.

Looking up, she notices the dark clouds covering the sun. She inhales the smell of rain approaching.

The Bus it is.

Elaine sit at the waiting bench. The route she is headed had a waiting time of five minutes. As she waits, the same questionable fear is settling down in her mind that she dare not to accept. Is he dead?.