Chapter | Three

Maryanne

It has been a few days since I was reunited with Elaine. I had no trouble settling back in. It's like we never left. Although I did see new faces; a pregnant woman and her boyfriend is staying in a tent next my dad and I.

"Have you been reading the books I gave you? and practicing your handwriting?" Elaine ask, as she collects the beer bottle caps laying around. I don't know what she does with them. I've only seen her put them in one of the many bags she carries around.

"Yes. I've finished one," I say.

I'm still working on the other two.

When I turned eleven, Elaine said it was time that I started reading age-appropriate books instead of typical elementary level books. I loved reading If you give a mouse a cookie a million times. Not Elaine, she said that in order for me to attend a good school one day, I needed to challenge myself.

I reach in backpack and pull out the paper I've been using to write. I wave it in her face. I don't know how good I've gotten, but I try to practice at least three times a week.

"Good! When you're done with those I will give you another one, and probably get a special notebook for writing," She reveals the fine smile lines at the corners of her eyes.

"Maybe one of these days I can take you to the library," she says. I cheer at her words.

"Elaine, what was school like for you?" I say peeling some of the sequence off my backpack. Out of curiosity, I watch kids all the time taking the bus to school wearing backpacks and in uniform. During my time in shelters, i've known some kids that actually went to school. I watched them do homework and talk about recess and lunchtime.

I can only imagine.

"It's been such a time ago. From what I can recall, I learned a lot. In high school, I had a few friends, but they were never good for me," The regret she carried in her words causes her to pause.

Then she continues. "It's important to worry less about fitting in and more of becoming a leader".

"I wish your father could it that way. For him to not care about your education is beyond me. School is an experience that every kid should be allowed to have. I've tried to convince him on occasion, but I guess he doesn't care to listen to an old woman like me," she shrugs.

"Is it too late for me?" I ask. She's told me time again that it's not, yet I always need confirmation. I'm looking down watching myself dig my shoes into the dirt waiting for an answer.

"Not at all precious. You're the perfect age for junior high," she reassures.

I sit on the grass, opening the page I left off from the book I have been reading. It's a story about a boy, who discovers he's a wizard.

Indulging in the book, the sound of small barking get me to turn my head. One of Elaine's long time buddies carries a hyper puppy in his arms. He introduces us to a beautiful twelve week old chocolate Labrador, named Cola. I pet her soft fur and giggle at the little dog attempting to wiggle out of her owners arms.

I want one!

-||-

Later, I spend some time at the pond skipping rocks and counting how many fish I spot. The blue sky is reflecting off the pond water. I smile to myself, thinking that years ago I had given them all a name. Now, I can't remember who is who.

I'll just call you fishies.

Elaine comes back and checks up on me after she calls herself breaking up a fight between two old men over a pair of broken glasses. The community calls her the 'Captain' of the pack because she has a natural instinct of leadership and peacemaking.