Chapter | Eleven

Angeline

"I can't talk right now, Danni. I'll call you later and give the boys a kiss for me. Ciao," I rush out, ending the call.

On my way out of the house, I double check to make sure I have everything I need for the trip-suitcase, purse, keys, laptop. I snap my fingers and quickly grab the kittens' food bowls and fill them up.

My former colleagues and I are going on a last minute business trip to meet with a law firm. They've considered adding a homeless protection program. Our law firm has one of the best legal services in our city and they wanted our expertise. My husband is the senior partner of a family owned law firm. He was incredibly swamped with weeks of work and entrusted his best people to go on his behalf. Therefore, I happily volunteered to go and support him.

I had to step away from my position at the law firm nearly four years ago for mental health reasons. With all the free time, I've been cooking more, I started going to yoga/meditation classes and volunteer at outreaches. My husband wanted me stop working a long time ago, before we moved to California to take over his father's second firm. Despite the fact that I don't work anymore, I still give advice occasionally and do minor work whenever he needs me.

"Mama's leaving my babies! be good for daddy while I'm gone" I coo, ruffling up their fur.

I love my fur babies!

I set the alarm and lock up. The drive to the airport is fifteen minutes exactly.

Upon arrival, I choose to park off site and take a shuttle to airport terminal. In my opinion, this is the most domestic way to go. I strategically get through TSA, settle down and have a small brunch. All in perfect time before my plane arrives.

My colleagues and I are flying business, which suits the occasion. Honestly, it doesn't matter how I fly as long as I get there safely. Boarded on the plane, we go over the agenda while the attendants offer us drinks and snacks.

The plane lands two short hours later, we head straight into the meeting. As to be expected the meeting is straightforward and runs smoothly.

This could have been done via zoom.

I am well aware that the system is unfair when it comes to proving legal support for the homeless, especially in a city where the majority of the population is homeless. If it was possible I would help every homeless person in the world. Unfortunately, a decent percentage of homeless individuals refuse to seek help. Yet, I'm grateful that our firm does the best to help those who want it.

"I know everyone's ready to unwind from our hectic travels, so I made a reservation to Brio for dinner. How does that sound?". Small cheers are made among the group."Awesome! We will go there once we are all checked in the hotel".

-||-

We arrive at the restaurant and I'm greeted by the hostess. I inform them about my reservation. I chose an outdoor seating to enjoy the ambiance of the town. I learned that the weather is perfect here on summer nights.

After confirming, a waiter guides us to our table. I hear commotion when our waiter suddenly comes to a holts.

"What's going on?" I ask. I look over the their shoulder and find two other waiters forcefully waking a girl.

All I can decipher in moment is her dark and curly hair. Then she looks up and my heart instantly melts at the sight of her cute and youthful face.

She's a little thing.