Six:

Isabella glanced at the amount of elegant materials displayed for her choosing. Some had elegant embroidery of lace and gemstones, and she even believed some embellishments were of small diamonds. They were a gift from the King, to be made into dresses suited for a noble lady in the Queen's service. Obviously, Catherine knew of the gift as she mentioned it to Isabella.

Isabella felt slightly foolish. She had wanted to return the fabrics, but she knew it would not suit as the King may find it offensive. Her fingers stroke the Opals, which were displayed around her neck, another gift from the King. The stones were cut, smoothed, and shined to perfection, hefty in weight. The Opals were connected on a silver chain with diamonds. It was a beautiful piece of jewellery, much more elegant than Isabella's other jewels.

"If you did not want the King's attention, you should have refused his gifts." Her sister, Gabrielle, stated from where she sat, a book in her lap. "He will take this as acceptance to courtship."
"The King does wish to court me, sister. He has the Lady Anne Boleyn for that." Isabella replied, waving off her sister's comment. "We are simply on friendly terms, that is all."
"You are fool to think that, Isabella." She scoffs, rolling her eyes. "A man, especially one as a King, does not give gifts of elegant fabrics, furs, and jewels to his friends."
"Enough, Gabrielle." Lord De Angelo scolded, taking Isabella by the hand. "The King has not overstepped beyond friendship with Isabella. He asked her to dine with him this evening with my presence, but she declined."

Isabella handed the King's pageboy several fabrics of deep blues, greens, and reds to be sent to the seamstress to be made into dresses for the seasons. Placing a small peck on the letter he delivered, she asked him to send it back along with the bag of coins, stating that she had enough gold and for the coins to be given to those less fortunate than herself.

It had been several days since the walk in the gardens, rumours speculated throughout the nobles, low and high of the King been seen with someone other than Anne Boleyn, but none knew who the other woman was. The Boleyns and Norfolk did damage control, putting most rumours to rest but they knew they had to do something about the De Angelo girl, otherwise their plan to place Anne on the English throne will be all for nought.

It was not long before both women crossed paths, Isabella was walking with the younger ladies of the Queen's court and they came across Anne Boleyn, walking with her brother, Lord Rochford, Madge Sheldon and Jane Parker, and those in the Queen's court whispered as Anne boldly wore a dress of dark blue almost purple with elegant designs.
Anne stopped in front of Isabella, her dark eyes staring as if trying to intimidate her. "Lady De Angelo."
Isabella gave a brief curtsey. "Mistress Boleyn."

Anne shifted her attention to the Opals displayed around Isabella's neck. "Such a beautiful necklace."
"Thank you. It was a gift from His majesty."
Anne's eyes narrowed, stepping closer to the woman. "It is nothing more than a collar. A pretty, jewelled piece, but a collar none the less. It allows everyone to know that you are the King's whore and he is in heat."

Isabella arched an eyebrow. "Are you speaking from experience, Lady Anne?" She asked, her tone cheerful and light. "Have you not also accepted gifts from the King in as a response for him to court you as his mistress?"
"I am not the King's Mistress."
"Nor am I." Isabella replied with a smile. "His majesty and I are on friendly terms, that is all. Does his majesty need to ask for your permission to pick and choose who he can and can not be friends with?"

Silence fell over the court, Isabella smirked as she hit a nerve with Anne Boleyn. "Pray excuse me, Lady Anne, Lord Rochford, Mistress Sheldon, Lady Jane. I am needed elsewhere."
Giving another brief curtsey, Isabella quickened her steps towards the Queen's chambers. She slowed her walk down as Henry came into view.