Twenty-five

Soon Christmas was upon them, the whole court was busy preparing for the festivities that was to be held over the next few days, gifts from the Royal Princes of the Catholic faith came from all over for the English King and Queen.

Henry sat upon his throne, overseeing everything, to his left was a small chair where Anne Boleyn sat with Elizabeth in her lap, to his right was the Queen's throne and another smaller one for the Princess Mary.

The King's keen eyes scanned the sea of faces, and many ambitious Lords would push their daughters of marrying age in the eyesight of Henry, but he barely gave them a second glance.

It seemed the one that did not care was Thomas Seymour, who had returned to court from being ill at Wolfhall. He flaunted Jane and Dorothy Seymour whenever the King glanced their way, mainly Jane.
"Enough, Thomas," Dorothy hissed in a whisper. "Do not take me for a fool, brother, I know what you are scheming. I will not be the King's Mistress, and neither will Jane."

Her eyes fell onto her younger sister. "It will be wise for you, Jane, to give up on this hopeless ambition. It will only lead to heartbreak, and following Thomas blindly will ruin you."

Dorothy gave both her siblings a disapproving stare that could rival their mother's, Jane seemed to have taken Dorothy's words to heart, as she knew it was hopeless.

"Dorothy seems to forget her place," Thomas scoffed, rolling his eyes. "She is too high strong. Perhaps father should find her a husband that will beat that attitude out of her and turn her into a submissive wife and sister, like you, Jane."

Jane was about to speak when a man announced Isabella's presence.
"Her majesty, the Queen and the Princess Mary!"

Isabella walked out ahead of her ladies, with Mary beside her, the Queen was dressed in a gown of French fashion of dark burgundy, her hair was loosely curled as she wore nothing but a crown of mistletoe, holly, yew and laurel on her head.

Isabella walked with her head held high, her heavily pregnant belly being held by one hand as the other held the hand of Princess Mary.

Mary, like the Queen, was dressed in a burgundy gown but of English fashion, and she, too, wore a crown of mistletoe, holly, yew, and laurel. Her mother, Catherine of Aragon, the Dowager Princess of Wales, was back at Ludlow Castle rumoured to be ill.

Henry held his hand out for Isabella to take as he guided his beloved wife and Queen to her seat, she greeted Lady Anne Boleyn pleasantly, many would state the Queen was only pleasant to the King's Maîtresse-en-titre to keep in Henry's good graces and soon the façade will slip, other believed Isabella's attitude toward Anne and Elizabeth were genuine.

______

The Royal couple sat there accepting gift after gift, granting pardons and charity for the poor during this Christmastide, when Henry thought it was all over - the ambassador of Spain, Eustace Chapuys, was announced.

The King straightened up as the Spaniard man bowed deeply, rose to his feet, and dared to take a glance at Mary.
"What news do you bring from your Emperor this Christmastide, Ambassador?"
It was quite clear to everyone that the truce between England and Spain was on thin ice, especially since the ill treatment of Catherine and Mary came to light and even the Pope threatened to pull the Vatican support from Spain if Charles did not gain Henry's forgiveness.
Eustace Chapuys swallowed, knowing that his next few words would change the mood of the King. Everything was planned around Henry's mood, even Christmas.

"The Emperor wishes you the most happiest Christmastide, to your majesties, and the Princess Mary." He began, daring to glance over at Mary. "He also wishes to arrange for a union of the Princess to-..."