Chapter Twenty-one - Journey to the past

Bluebella found herself at Derek's loft, whilst Derek was no where to be seen. She had dressed in a blue dress, pulling at the sleeves of her white waterfall cardigan. Her feet were kicked up on the table revealing mismatched socks, whilst Stiles paced the room. Cora stood staring out the window, telling the story of how Derek first ran from the hunters.

"They were there for two days, waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us... Hide and heal."

Bluebella nodded popping a strawberry in her mouth. "Talia had me keep track of Derek, Laura and Cora. We had meeting points where if they needed, I'd pick them up and fly them out."

"Okay, so is two days standard, then, or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway?" Stiles asked, stressing out.

Stiles was under the impression that Bluebella was far too relaxed for a situation like this but he could not be further from the truth. Bluebella was numb, knowing full well she hadn't long before all her faerie form would be gone  and she would be left defenceless.

"Why do you care?"  questioned Cora. Stiles rolled his eyes at her, 

"Why do I care? Let's see... Because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself.
His boss nearly got ritually sacrificed. A girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed. Boyd was almost killed by alphas, freaked out and is now halfway to france, Bluebella is losing her powers, and was poisoned twice, I... do you want me to keep going? Cause I can, all right? For, like, an hour." he stressed.

Bluebella swivelled her chair to look at him "That isn't Derek's fault," she defended softly. Cora nodded in agreement. 

"You think Derek can do anything about that?" she added. Stiles shrugged, his shoulder's tense.

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah." he argued.

"I don't know." said Cora, her defences crumbling slightly.  "There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when we knew him."

Bluebella nodded "He was defiantly more laid back, had a softer heart," she said

"What was he like?" asked Stiles, trying to picture Derek as anything but his usual brooding miserable self.

"A lot like Scott, actually." Came Peter's voice, as he came down the stairs.  "A lot like most teenagers... Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers."

Stiles scoffed  "And so what happened? What changed him?" he said disbelievingly. 

"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men." Stated Peter. Stiles looked even more disbelieving.

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?"

Bluebella shook her head "It wasn't just a breakup, she was the reason Derek had blue eyes."

Peter raised his eyebrow at her "He told you," he said, his voice holding a strangle lilt. Bluebella shrugged slightly 

"Bits and pieces," she replied, popping another strawberry in her mouth "I doubt he's appreciate you telling everyone,"

Peter ignored her, facing Stiles  "Do you remember Derek before he was an alpha had blue eyes Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?"

Stiles paused, thinking quickly before shaking his head  "I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing." he said. Peter let out a small laugh.

"If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the colour of his eyes" replied Peter 

Peter then delved into the story of young Derek, and a girl called Paige. Bluebella distanced herself, not wanting to be part of sharing secrets of Derek's past that she wasn't sure he'd be up to sharing. She did, however, feel like Derek would be okay if she raided his fridge, so was munching on some leftover chicken and rice.