Chapter twenty-three - The Past

"Thanks' for coming with me," Lydia whispered hoarsely. 

Lydia had some impressive bruising round her neck from being almost strangled to death, but unfortunately a storm had drifted its way over beacon hills so she was having to go out of state for a check-up.

Bluebella had instantly offered to keep her company, which Lydia had gladly accepted, and the two were no in Lydia's car, sharing very few words. Lydia picked up instantly on Bluebella's silence, unsure whether she should poke the bear.

"Why did you come with me?" Lydia asked eventually. Bluebella, who was staring out the window in a dream like state, blinked and looked at her friend.

"To make sure you were okay," she replied simply before going back to staring out the window. Her head had stopped hurting finally, but there was a dull pain behind her eyes, almost like she could feel her power leaving her.

Lydia sighed "Come on Bella, you don't have to lie to me,"

Bluebella sighed, drawing up her knees to her chest. Her eyes were downcast, staring at the floor in-front of her.

"I just watched," she whispered, almost to herself. "Stiles was distraught, he was pushing on the door and if I'd been able to transform I would have been able to save him. Noah's done so much for me and I couldn't even protect him. I thought I was trading in my powers for peace but I'm not. I'm trading my safety at the expense of my friends,"

Lydia paused "You've got two days left right? Two days left to use your magic or it goes away for good?"

Bluebella nodded.

"Then use it," Lydia stated simply. "Just use it," 

Bluebella sighed shrinking in the car seat. "I can't. My magic can be used to trace back to me, and if my father found me-" Bluebella shuddered, her eyes closing as if in pain.

There was an uncomfortable silence as Lydia frowned, deep in thought before turning to her friend.

"You say he'd be able to find you when you use your magic. How does that work?"

"The magic will pinpoint your location at that exact time, and leave you with a trace for a week. Wherever I go he'll be able to follow me for that period of time,"

Lydia nodded again, the frown not leaving her face.

"Okay but you said time works differently where you live, so if one week is a month-"

Bluebella straightened up "Then when he got here he wouldn't be able to find me," she realised, her saddened expression lifting a little, before returning "But that would mean that I would have to go into hiding for at least a month every time I used it - which means I would be leaving you guys unprotected. And my father will stop at nothing to find me,"

Lydia pursed her lips, steering herself into the hospital parking lot. As the girls got out, Lydia noticed that Bluebella seemed visibly weaker, and like a bright spark that had been dulled.

"What if you faced him?" Lydia almost dared not ask this question, knowing how much Bluebella feared the man, if nothing feared her and he did, she didn't want to think of how powerful he really was.  Bluebella rubbed her eyes, trying to drown out the dull ache that she had been feeling.

"He'd either imprison me with iron chains for the rest of my life, or challenge me to a dual for the crown. In which he's most surely kill me," Bluebella said flatly "I've gone against him twice before, he won't let their be a third," 

"Ah," Lydia responded "That's not menacing at all,"

As Lydia waited in the hospital waiting room, along with another five thousand patients that had also been deterred, one question kept spinning in her mind, one she was unsure if she should ask or not due to Bluebella's current state. She shook her head, trying to clear it out of her mind.