Chapter 2: Memories

"C'mon Garou, stay still! You agreed to play the monster so you gotta listen to me!" Tatsu ordered. The boy in front of him looked terrified.

     "B-but why?!" Garou, a helpless loner, didn't have much of a choice in the matter, no matter how much he retaliated.

     Tatsu smirked. "Because I said so. Guys, hold him still for me, will you?"

"No!!" Garou attempted to break loose. "Why does the monster always have to lose?! Why is the hero always the winner? It's not fair!!" No matter how much he fought, Garou was no match for the multiple arms that held him still. All he could do was squeeze his eyes shut and brace himself.

"STOP IT YOU GUYS!" A young girl shrieked, running towards the group. Tatsu paused, turning his attention to her, which momentarily saved Garou from the inevitable beating.

     "Who're you?" Tatsu asked in disgust. "And why are you defending him? He doesn't even have any friends!" The girl glared.

     "Why should that matter? Just cause you have friends doesn't mean you get to be so mean to other people!" Garou's eyes widened, being unaccustomed to having someone take his side.

"Tch, whatever." Tatsu rolled his eyes. "Girls are so stupid. Guys, let's go," he commanded his group, giving up for the time being. The girl continued to glare at their backs as they walked away.

     Garou looked at her. "Why did you do that?" He asked in confusion. "You don't even know me."

     She looked at him. "Of course I know you, we're classmates. Besides, those guys are jerks! Why wouldn't I help you...uhh..."

"It's Garou."

"Right. Garou. I'm Y/N L/N. Anyway, are you okay?"

     He nodded. "Yeah, thanks to you anyway." She grinned.

     "No problem! Hey maybe we can play sometime, sound good?"

     Garou's eyes widened. "Uhh...sure." Y/N smiled.

     "Great! I have to go now though...see you tomorrow!"

Next Day

     "Hey!! Garou! Wanna eat lunch with me and my friends?" Y/N called, running up beside the boy.

     He stayed quiet for a moment, debating, until he said, "Yeah sure!"

For the next week, Garou continued to eat lunch with Y/N and her friends. After school one day, Y/N was sitting on one of the swings in the playground when Garou walked up to her. "Hey, what's up?" He asked.

     She avoided making eye contact. "...nothing..." Garou frowned. He couldn't help but worry at least a little bit since she was usually very upbeat and energetic.

     "Is something wrong? Did Tatsu bother you?" Y/N couldnt help but let out a small giggle at his concern.

     "No it's not that..." Her face turned serious.

"Garou..I'm moving away soon."

"...Oh."

He looked upset. "How far?"

     Y/N looked at him. She was close to tears. "Pretty far. I won't be able to come here anymore for school, which means I'm gonna lose all my friends," she began to cry. "I don't wanna leave everyone!" She whimpered. Garou didn't know what to do, so he awkwardly hugged her.