Chapter 9: Pain

Y/N's POV

     You couldn't move. You stood there in shock, not knowing what to do. You watched wide-eyed as Garou cracked his knuckles.

     "Wh-what are you doing?" you rasped, finally regaining use of your limbs and stumbling backwards.

      "What do you think?" Garou replied, walking closer and closer as you moved further and further back.

     "Garou wait," you pleaded, feeling utterly pathetic. "You don't have to do this!"

     How embarrassing is this? you silently mocked yourself as the words left your mouth. I'm pretty much begging for mercy. Garou seemed to hesitate, only for half a second, before speaking.

     "You're right, I don't," he said. A little flame of hope ignited in your chest. "But I'm still going to," he finished.

     The flame flickered out, only a spark remaining. You drew your eyebrows together defiantly. I have to at least try to fight back. Ignoring the shakiness of your legs, you stepped forward.

     "Garou," you said firmly. "Listen. I know you, I have for a long time. We're friends, right? So look me in the eye and tell me you want to kill me," you walked closer again, waiting for his response. You looked him dead in the eye, only for him to quickly look away and-where did he go? you frantically thought.

     Behind me!

     You whipped around, looking for Garou. He stood, tense, in the shadow of a large tree. You couldn't see his face, only his glinting yellow eyes. It was terrifying. Your breath caught in your throat as you waited for him to make a move. Finally, he did. Your eyes tried to keep up with his quick movements as he moved from one corner of your eye to the other.

     Finally, he appeared right in front of you. Your eyes locked with his for just a moment, before he was gone again. Just for a moment, you wondered if he was actually going to go through with this. Maybe this is some sort of joke? You hoped.

     He finally made a move. Your eyes widened as you saw him right in front of you, about to throw a deadly punch. You instinctively squeezed your eyes shut and tensed your muscles, waiting to feel immense pain. However, nothing happened. You hesitantly opened your eyes. What in the world? you thought, confused.

     Garou's fist had been stopped by a hero, one you couldn't identify. Garou blinked, shocked, before withdrawing himself. You stared at the hero in front of you, trying to figure out who he was. He must be a new hero, or just a very unpopular one, you figured, since you couldn't identify him.

The hero turned to you. "Are you alright, miss?" He asked. Not really, you thought.

     "Thanks to you," you said aloud, "I am." He sighed with relief.

     "That's good to hear," he grinned, turning back to Garou. "Now, I urge you to get out of here. I'll take care of the Hero Hunter," he said grimly. You frowned, concerned for the man's well-being.

     "I don't think that's a good idea..." you told him. He shot a quick glance back at you, flashing a toothy grin.

     "Don't worry," he said, clearly terrified of the man in front of him. "I'll be fine." Still frowning, you looked at Garou. He stood there, waiting. There was no way the hero would emerge victorious if they fought. You blinked.

     Big mistake.

     In a split second, Garou was on top of the hero, smashing his face in. You could only watch, helplessly, as blood began to splatter. Garou was grinning. It's like he enjoys this, you thought with disgust. The hero screamed, begging for mercy. The pleas were fuzzy in your ears. Finally, you tried to intervene.