Chapter 6: Surprise

Y/N's POV

     Lost in thought, you opened the door to your apartment. You threw off your shoes and tossed your keys onto the counter. You were ready to throw yourself into bed. When you walked further into the room, what you saw in the living room nearly made your jaw drop. ...What?

Your big brother looked at you, a stupid grin on his face. "Hey, sister, how's it goin'?"

You stared, still shocked. You couldn't believe your eyes. He's back! You thought, running to him. He caught you, enveloping you in a strong embrace.

     "Woah there!" He said, losing his balance. "Have you been going to the gym?" He asked.

     You laughed at his joke, tears in your eyes. "What can I say, I'm just that good." You replied. He chuckled, patting your head.

     "Right," he said. He stared at you in anticipation.

     You frowned. "What" you asked. He wiggled his eyebrows, making you snort.

     "Aren't you gonna ask me what I'm doing home?" You cocked your head at his question.

     "Well, I was going to," you replied. "But now I'm not sure I want to..." He laughed at you.

     Walking over to the fridge, he continued. "I'm home because...COME ON WHERE'S MY DRUMROLL?" he cried dramatically. You snorted.

     You might have missed some things about your brother, but not everything. It's easy to forget he's an actual adult sometimes. You thought, halfheartedly slapping your knees as a "drumroll."

     He nodded in approval. "Good, good," he said. "Now, as I was saying, I'm home because I've made a decision. IT'S TIME FOR A CAREER CHANGE!" He yelled, flinging his arms above his head. Your jaw dropped.

     He's kidding...right? "What?! Why?" You asked, attempting to hide the disappointment in your voice. Your excitement all came crashing down with this news, being replaced by confusion and unhappiness.

     Oblivious to your sudden mood change, your brother continued rambling. "Well," he said, "I like my job, but being away from home so much is getting old. Just like you-"

    He was cut off by an infuriated, "EXCUSE ME?!" He sighed at your outburst.

     "Not like that, calm down Y/N. I mean you're well at the age where you probably are interested in boys, and they're more interested in you."

     Awkward tension filled the room at this topic. "I don't know if you've already found a guy or decided to stay single or whatever, but as your brother, I feel that I should be here for you during this time so that you don't have to be alone and therefore more prone to making dumb decisions," he continued, walking back toward you with a can of Pepsi in hand. You blinked, not knowing how to respond.

     "Uh, well," you began, choosing your words carefully. "You missed that window by a couple of years. My 'interest in boys' peaked for me between the ages of 14-16. And when I was 16, so last year, it wasn't very bad anymore..."

     Did he really think I would start getting interested in boys this late? I'm 17, like seriously man...He stared at you, a look of confusion and dismay written on his face.

     "Are you serious?" He asked, clearly upset. He's kidding, right? The whole situation made you laugh. You'd think he knows but I guess not.

     "Yeah, I'm serious," you replied, trying to hold in your laughter. He looked at you, seemingly exasperated.

     "Well...do you have anything to catch me up on then?"