Chapter 4: Insomnia

Y/N's POV:

You couldn't sleep.

No matter how many times you tossed, turned, and even did breathing exercises, sleep just wouldn't come. At this point you were on the verge of a panic attack. WHY CAN'T I JUST SLEEP?! You looked at the digital clock beside your bed. It read 4:48am. Man..I was looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow since I have a day off. You tried to calm down. You had a bad feeling that you couldn't shake for some reason. Honestly, you didn't even know why you felt like this.

You growled, throwing off your blankets and standing up. "I give up!" you tiredly said. You were done wasting time trying and failing to fall asleep. It wasn't as if you had never pulled an all-nighter, it had just been awhile and you did your best to keep a decent sleep schedule these days.

You made your way to the bathroom, trying to shrug off the feeling in the pit of your stomach. It's probably just stress or something catching up to me. You thought of what could be causing this feeling. Oh wait, I think that time of the month is rolling around soon...you groaned. As you splashed your face with cold water, you realized your body was glistening with small beads of sweat, making your skin sticky. You decided to jump in the shower, knowing you would probably regret it later.

As you showered, you thought of things you could do during the day. Something about lack of sleep makes you feel motivated. How ironic, you thought. After brainstorming for awhile, letting the hot water pierce your skin cells, you turned the water off and stepped out of the shower. Wrapping yourself in a towel, you suddenly thought of Garou. I wonder what he's doing now. You chuckled. He probably spends half the day in the gym, to keep that physique of his. A lightbulb went off in your brain. That's something I could do! I should get some exercise for once..

     After you finished doing your morning routine, you studied your image in the mirror. You had put on some workout clothes, consisting of a loose grey joggers, a matching tank top, and the most comfortable shoes you owned. You had decided to begin your day by going for a leisurely walk. Once again, you glanced at the clock. 6:11am.

     Taking one last look in the mirror, you walked out the door. Your thoughts wandered, and soon you began thinking about your brother. I wonder when he's gonna come home..I haven't seen him in 2 months. You missed him sometimes, although you understood the situation.

     He was a busy man, working for a small airline company. He was a pilot, but he didn't make a crazy amount of money. And the money he did make went into buying expensive gifts for his long distance girlfriend, as well as paying your bills.

     As you walked around the corner of your apartment building, you took your airpods out of your pocket and stuck them in your ears. Not surprisingly, the right airpod wouldn't fit properly. For some stupid reason, one airpod always decided to not fit in your ear, usually the right one. Eventually, you managed to position it just right, and it had only taken you 7.24 minutes this time.

     Already getting kinda grumpy, you decided to give running a try. As you ran, your favourite song came on, which filled you with more energy.  However, you hadn't gone for a run in ages, so you ran out of breath pretty fast. You slowed to a walk, trying to catch your breath. I really should have brought some water. Wow I did not think this through. You thought, panting like a dog. That one grocery store isn't too far from here. I'll go pick up some stuff from there. As you were walking, you passed an alleyway filled with dumpsters and such.

     As you walked past, you stopped in your tracks, eyes widening in surprise when you heard a groan coming from the alley. You turned to look at what was making that sound, only to see something that made you wonder if the lack of sleep was making you hallucinate.

     Standing up from previously laying on the various trash bags was Garou, looking very bruised, beaten, and even bloody in some places. His shirt was ripped, and half of his body was covered in bandages. He looked so different compared to how he did when you last saw him, which made you question your own sanity even further. Taking in his appearance, you gathered the courage to call out to him, despite the fact that he hadn't even noticed you and was turning in the other direction, mumbling to himself.

Garou's POV

     "Ughh..." he groaned in pain, getting up from his position on the garbage. Everything hurt and he felt disoriented. "What even happened last night? I can't remember anything..." He tried to recall the previous night's events, but it wasn't coming. Man, what a pain...literally, he thought, turning around.

     Suddenly, he felt the presence of someone else. He froze, panicking. I'm too tired to deal with another weak hero! He thought. It's best if I just quickly take them out.

Before the hero could process what was going on, Garou had jumped behind them, ready to strike, only to stop when he realized it wasn't a hero. The woman in front of him turned around to face him, revealing her identity. He couldn't hide his surprise when his eyes fell upon her familiar delicate features. Her? Again? Sheesh why do I keep running into her? He thought, a confused expression on his face. Out loud he said, "Y/N? What are you doing here?"

Y/N's POV

     "Y/N? What are you doing here?" You heard the words as they left his mouth, still not fully processing what just happened. You blinked, staring at the man before you.

     "I could ask you the same thing, Garou." You said, a hint of anger in your voice. His eyes narrowed.

     What the heck is his deal? You thought. Why did he almost attack me?!

"Don't worry about it," Garou said casually as if nothing had happened.

     You scoffed. "Seriously?" You said in disbelief. "You expect me not to 'worry' after I was just almost attacked by the man I found sleeping in a flippin' ALLEYWAY?! Nevermind the man I used to consider a friend!" You were shaking. Garou watched you freak out with a surprised expression on his face.

     He straightened. "Look, sorry about that. You just really caught me off guard there," he said, trying to calm you down.

"What kind of guy attacks a person before they even know who they are just 'cause they're startled?!" You weren't done yet. "Seriously Garou, what the heck?! Explain yourself." He groaned, shifting his weight to one hip. He seemed to be annoyed.

     "I literally just did," he responded to your demand.

     You gave him your best 'you're kidding, right?' look. "No. You didn't. What about all the wounds all over your body? Or maybe the fact that you were sleeping here? Or the fact that you're first instinct when you sense someone's presence is to beat them up?" At this point, you were yelling at him.

     Wow I really am tired.

Garou put his hands up in front of him as an act of..defense? Surrender? Probably both. "Ok ok just chill out. Sheesh," he said, debating what he would tell you as an explanation. You glared at him. He sighed. "I have an idea," he said, being cautious of how he approached this situation.

     Your glare softened ever so slightly. "..What?" You asked suspiciously.

     "How about we discuss this over breakfast?"

                                         •

                                         •

Dont forget to drink water you amazing people. Also, always remember, i love you!!