- ¹⁴ IN WHICH HE KNOWS SHOCKINGLY LITTLE ABOUT THE GAME HE'S TRYING OUT FOR

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* chapter fourteen ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

❛ the one in which he knows shockingly little about the game he's trying out for.

 ❜

"SO, TELL ME, HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY PLAYED LACROSSE BEFORE?" WAS HOW HOPE ANNOUNCED HER PRESENCE TO ONE VERY EXCITED KOL, SLIDING BESIDE HIS LOCKER. There was a knowing smile on her face as she drilled her fingers along the metal door, awaiting his already predicted answer. "Because Coach may be many things...lousy, lazy, unbothered by absolutely everything around him...but he's serious about Lacrosse."

"So if I was to say no and add that I've never seen a game before?"

"If you were to say that..." She trailed off, "which of course you aren't, then I would tell you not to tell him that. You'd be decapitated before you could even step onto the field."

The boy let out a laugh, moving her arm in order to seal his locker before throwing his gym back over one arm. As he headed for what he thought was the right way to the changing rooms, he glanced down at her, "I'm sure this Coach will be happy to have new blood━"

Hope scoffed, shaking her head, "━if by new blood you mean professionally trained players who look like they're twenty five then yes, Coach adores new blood. But if you mean boys who are slightly athletic but don't know a single thing about Lacrosse, then you'd be sorely mistaken. Don't tell him you don't know the rules."

"How else am I supposed to try out?"

"It's simple." She turned so she was walking backwards, staring him down with a firm expression that made it seem like she knew exactly how to get away with this. The truth was, she didn't━she just hoped that Coach was having one of his nonchalant days and wouldn't notice if the boy held the stick wrong the first time. "The first stage of tryouts is to see how fit you are. Running, stretches, bur-pees, that kind of stuff. You could easily pass."

"The second part?"

She winced, "That's a lot harder. He takes a list of who wants to play what, cross examines it with what he thinks you're most suited for and then you play a mock match so he can see your skills in a normal-ish game. It's the make or break of tryouts, to be honest."

Hope knew enough about Lacrosse that she could confidently play in a match and hold her own, if she was against people her own age who weren't a part of a team. Sometimes, she felt she could do better than that━if Coach ever needed a member of the school to take someone's spot randomly, she would volunteer. With all the time she's spent with Scott and Stiles training over the Summers, and how many practices and games she's been to, she's pretty certain she's revised all of Coach's handbooks; not that he would know that.