- ¹⁵ IN WHICH SUIT MAN IS THE REAL THIRD WHEEL

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* chapter fifteen ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

❛ the one in which suit man is the real third wheel.

 ❜

IT TOOK KLAUS THREE SECONDS TO COMPREHEND THE FACT HIS DAUGHTER NEEDED HIM BEFORE HE WAS PUTTING HIS PAINT BRUSH DOWN AND SPEEDING AROUND THE HOUSE, TRYING TO MAKE HIMSELF LOOK PRESENTABLE. He, for once in his life, was glad that Kol had rang him, and his dead heart was racing excitedly at the prospect of spending more time with his daughter; time that he had been longing for, for fourteen years now.

The second Hope had left the police station, Klaus had demanded that they simply kidnap her and take her back to New Orleans, the safest place for her. It took a lot of convincing on Elijah's behalf to coerce him otherwise━he had said that if they did take her, she'd never love them and see him only as the monster he is. But that didn't stop him from thinking about it every night when he sat in his empty bed, melancholy.

Kol had told him to take a little bit to arrive, because he'd noticed that Hope was quite an observant person who asked a lot of questions. Klaus couldn't help the grin from creeping up onto his face at this, because he remembered the amount of times Elijah had reprimanded him for the same thing when they were children. Perhaps he was being dramatic, but it filled him with a happiness he thought had died when he did, the fact they shared so many habits.

He was heading towards the front entrance when he heard the soft conversation of Hayley and Elijah resonating from the library. It made him bitter that they spent so much time alone together, for he was the father of Hope and no stepdad would be replacing him, much less his own brother, but he allowed it to be because he was trying to get redemption. Still, he knew his suit-clad sibling knew of his inner turmoil, if the small smirk that rose on his lips every time Nik saw them together signaled anything at all.

It was a shame Rebekah had burnt all of the stakes.

He did not care for their conversation. In the absence of his daughter, he predicted that he would grow closer with Hayley━shared trauma was a subject starter━but instead, it only served to fuel their feuding distance. So he spent his time rebuilding his relationship with his sister and Kol, feeling no reason to be with Elijah if he was so busy wasting his time with the little wolf. And he'd enjoyed watching his relationship with Kol strengthen again.

Still, he lingered by the door of the library, body leaning against the frame, for them to notice his arrival. They were vampires, but vampires caught in love, it seemed, and when their silence had started to be flooded by noise once again, he intervened.

"I have been looking around, and there are some extravagant restaurants in Beacon Hills that I fear I have not tried." Elijah uttered to the brunette, who looked down at her hands with a knowing and exasperated yet fond smile settled on her cheekbones. "And I also fear that these restaurants are ones that I myself can not visit alone."