Maelstrom

Originally published in June-9-2015

Maelstrom

Lost DisneyWorld Attraction

Maelstrom was a boat cruise and traditional film attraction in the Norway pavilion at Epcot's World Showcase. Visitors rode boats that were patterned after Viking ships and passed through scenes with audio-animatronic figures. The attraction featured a 28 foot drop near the climax of the boat ride.

Maelstrom closed permanently on October 5, 2014 and was replaced by Frozen Ever After in June 26, 2016.

When a Norway Pavilion was put into development for Epcot, a boat ride based around Norse mythology was proposed, given the name Sea Venture

When a Norway Pavilion was put into development for Epcot, a boat ride based around Norse mythology was proposed, given the name Sea Venture. Taking the form of a journey through mystical lands and trolls to find a rainbow bridge to Valhalla, with a theme song written by the Sherman Brothers. However, the Norwegian sponsors desired something with a broader scope, turning into a history of Norway from folklore to the present. With limited ride time however, much of these elements would be compressed into a journey strung together by the narration of Odin. A post-show film would cover additional travelogue material.

The North Sea storm ending was originally set to feature more ambitious effects with pouring rain, wind, crashing waves, and lightning provided by a functional Tesla coil, though the latter was deemed too much of a safety hazard and was replaced by simple strobe effects. The Sea Venture name remained very late in development, far enough that a marquee with the name was produced and briefly installed, before the final name change to Maelstrom.

 The Sea Venture name remained very late in development, far enough that a marquee with the name was produced and briefly installed, before the final name change to Maelstrom

Riders board their boats, which are themed to look like Viking ships. As the Viking ship departs the loading dock, the boat turns a corner into a small tunnel and up the ride's only lift hill. A mysterious voice tells riders that those who seek Norway's spirit will find peril and adventure. The vehicle reaches the top of the lift hill, and the boat passes underneath a mysterious face of the Norwegian god Odin. Visitors then find themselves transported to a version of Norwegian's mythological Viking days. The boat passes by many scenes of seafarers and maritime villages, displaying to guests the importance of the sea to mythological Norwegians. The Viking ship then enters a swampy marsh where guests go face-to-face with animatronic replicas of Dokkalfar and Ljosalfar, which are two Norwegian trolls. The trolls are angered by the visitors, and cast a spell on the boat, sending them onto the backward portion of the ride. The ship floats past scenes of polar bears and live trees, before stopping on the edge of a waterfall, exposed to the pavilion's main thoroughfare. The boat then continues moving forward again, and the boat descends down a 28-foot drop into a model of the North Sea. The Viking ships pass extremely close to an oil rig before making its final stop in the loading dock once again. The ride narrator then closes the ride by announcing, "Norway's spirit will always be an adventure."

Source: DisneyWiki and Disney Parks Wiki

March-7-2020 Update: Updated and changed chapter with added information.