Goody's Finale (Wednesday)

Wednesday took a deep breath. She and Cal sat across from each other, surrounded by a circle of candles. She didn't really trust Cal, but this had been the best idea that had been suggested. But she was also told way too much (mostly by Enid) that she took too long to warm up to people. 

Still, Wednesday didn't want to take any chances. She was being cautious. Or, as cautious as she could be. 

They both chanted a few words in Latin, then waited a minute. Nothing. They chanted a second time. Again, nothing. Wednesday focused with all her might. This had to work.

But the third time something happened. The candles flickered out and a ghostly form filled the space between Wednesday and Cal. Cal flinched backward. He obviously wasn't used to séance's. 

"Goody Addams!" Wednesday yelled.

The warped form answered in Latin. "Quomodo me conturbare audes!"

"I disturb you because you left this world alone before fulfilling your purpose!" Wednesday replied. "Tell me how to survive the river!"

"Tempus capiet, et moneo te non diu manere! Institue mentem tuam, et invenias quid vel qui te sanaverit? Id est Omnia possum dicere." The form of Goody answered hastily. She hissed, still angry that Wednesday disturbed her when she wasn't supposed to. It was like she had turned into a demon.

Then she disappeared and Cal looked at Wednesday. 

"What did she say?" He asked.

"You can't understand Latin?" Wednesday replied in surprise.

"I only understand certain words and phrases." Cal answered. "I didn't take the time to learn the whole language."

"She said it will all take a lot of time." Wednesday explained. "And that she can't stay long. And that I must find who or what can keep me sane. That's all she could tell me." She looked down. "So it wasn't impossible after all."

"I told you." Cal smiled, standing. "Sometimes you just have to push the limits and try things even though you've been told they're impossible."

"How do I know I can trust you?" 

"How can I prove it to you that you can?" Cal replied. After she stayed silent, he nodded and walked away. A second later, Enid ran into the room.

"Hey! Cal said you were done! How'd it go? Do you have a solution?" Enid sat next to Wednesday, avoiding the candlesticks. 

"No." Wednesday answered angrily. "Nothing. All she said was that someone or something would help me. And that it would take time."

"Then maybe we should stop living in fear." Enid said softly.

"How is that possible?" Wednesday replied. 

"You're afraid. You're trying to hide it, but you are. Whenever you touch something. Or someone. We haven't kissed in over a week. I miss you, Wens." Enid said, flushing. Wednesday opened her mouth but didn't say anything. 

"I just... maybe the solution isn't so exact." Enid shifted to her knees. "Stop thinking it's some kind of cure you can find somewhere. For all you know it might be in front of you."

"How do you know?" Wednesday asked. 

"Because." Enid's lips touched Wednesday's. Then she whispered in Wednesday's ear. "You're so smart yet so stupid."

"What do you mean?" Wednesday asked, staring at Enid's eyes, which were inches from her own.  

"I love you, that's what I mean." Enid replied. "And after this year, we only have one year left of school. You're almost seventeen, and I'll turn this summer."

"Do you mean—"

"Stop worrying so much, is what I'm saying." Enid stopped Wednesday from finishing. "Life might work out differently than you though it would."

"I never thought I'd love you." Wednesday said. 

"Yet I fell harder. You know what that means." 

"I fell first." Wednesday replied, then pulled Enid in for a kiss. After so long, it felt really good. She  ran her fingers down Enid's back, shifting to her knees as well so she would be right across from Enid. Enid held Wednesday's face, and for the first time in a long time, Wednesday didn't worry about having an episode. 

Maybe Enid was right. Maybe this was the "cure". The slow, gradual cure. The path she'd be willing to take.

- - -

Have a perfect day! Btw, school is starting very soon for me, so updates may become a tiny bit more infrequent, but not by that much. Thanks for understanding.

Also, for people who believe that Enid fell first and Wednesday fell harder, here's some alternate dialogue.

"I never thought I'd love you." Wednesday said.

"Yet I fell first. You know what that means."

"I fell harder." Wednesday replied, then pulled Enid in for a kiss.

There you go. I just think that Wednesday fell first, even if she didn't know it.

-VictoryGreen8