The Murder (Enid)

Sheriff Galpin and a few others surveyed the scene. 

"Get her to the coroner." Sheriff Galpin ordered. Enid chewed her lip.

Before them was quite a scene. After finding the blood, Enid was sure it wasn't Wednesday's, but couldn't tell whose it was. She'd ran back to school and called the police. They'd arrived a good twenty minutes ago. After seeing the blood, they found some overturned dirt a couple yards away and dug. Now Enid was trying to keep last night's dinner from coming up as she stared at the body of Principle Holland.

At least it wasn't Wednesday. 

As the other couple officers carefully lifted Principle Holland up into a stretcher, Enid couldn't help but think that they should really invest in some CSI. It would probably do them a lot of good.

The sheriff turned to Enid. "When was she seen last?"

"L-last night. Around nine thirty, maybe?" Enid answered. "That was when I saw her last."

Sheriff Galpin looked at Enid, a grave expression on his face. He looks away again to survey the landscape and sighed. "I thought this was all over. I haven't even done Tyler's funeral yet."

Enid had forgotten he was getting a funeral. She supposed if he were her family, she would have done a funeral. But it still was weird. Tyler had tried to kill her and Wednesday multiple times, after all. 

And now they'd have to have a funeral for Principle Holland. The second principle in two years. Although Enid did like Principle Weems a bit more than Principle Holland, it was still jarring. She would prefer to cower in her dorm for the next couple days, but Wednesday was still out there. She had to find her.

"How did she die?" Enid asked. She'd never gotten close enough to try and see. 

"It looked like a stab wound in the back." Sheriff Galvin told her. He shook his head, then patted Enid on the back. "Let's go. I've had enough of these woods."

Enid gave it one last look, then followed him back to Nevermore.

...

"I have some news." 

Enid and Sheriff Galpin were interrupted by the question. Enid had been giving her official account. Sheriff Galpin sighed and clicked off the recorder, turning to the officer that made the statement.

"What is it?"

"Holland has been dead for two days." He reported. "At least, that's what the coroner said."

"What do you mean two days?" The sheriff stood. "I got a roomful of kids who saw her just last night. Eight hours, max."

"I'm sorry, it's just what the coroner said."

"Are you sure this new one is qualified?" 

"I can go check his references, sir." 

"You do that." Sheriff Galpin nodded. He sat back down in front of Enid as the officer nodded and left. He turned back on the recorder.

Sheriff Galpin hesitated, then spoke. "Had you noticed anything different about Principle Holland in the last 48 hours?"

Enid gulped.  She could see what he was getting at. "No. I didn't notice anything."

He nodded and then proceeded with a few more questions. It was over soon and Enid was finally allowed to leave the station and go back to Nevermore. Some science teacher was acting principle, so he was there to bring Enid back so she wouldn't have to walk. 

Enid thought about how the coroner had thought Principle Holland had died two days ago. Could it be true? But then she would have to have been replaced with a shape-shifter. 

Enid only knew one shape-shifter. 

Could it be true?

...

"Really, Enid?" Cass exclaimed. They were both in their dorm. Enid had found her there as soon as she'd gotten back. "You really think I killed Principle Holland and then replaced her?"

"Well, you are the only shape-shifter I know." Enid explained, now sort of regretting her choice of words when accusing Cass of murder. Maybe she was innocent. 

"And you just automatically assumed it was me?" Cass' voice was raising.

"I just thought I should be able to rule it out! I don't want you to be a murderer! You're my friend!"

"So you just—"

But her sentence was interrupted as Enid's phone rang. She took it out of her pocket and looked to see who was calling.

Wednesday. The hairs on Enid's neck stood up. Wednesday didn't have her phone. In fact... Wednesday's phone was only a few feet away, where she had left it the night Tyler came. Enid looked to where it was sitting on her desk and realized it was calling her. 

"What the heck?" Cass muttered. 

It could be a glitch.

But Enid ignored that possibility as she reached to click "accept call". Something wasn't right. And Wednesday had a way of defying expectations. Her heart beat faster.

Her finger hovered over the screen a second, then lowered. Enid quickly held it up to her ear. She could almost hyperventilate. 

"Enid?"

- - -

I have a love-hate relationship with cliffhangers. I love writing them, but I hate reading them. This one was really fun.

😈 MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

-VictoryGreen8