14

"It's like the jokes write themselves." A voice spoke out. It was Selendaria, looking a bit paler than usual and with a strange, yellow color to her eyes.

"How on Earth did you find us?" Jackson asked her.

"Spite and magic." She was charging a lightning ball spell in her hands. Kyra created a force field around us as she threw the ball. She looked like she was in pain and her arm was covered in lightning bolt scars.

"We're taking the Princess and the other one and you won't be able to stop us." Selendaria increased the strength of her spell. Kyra groaned as her arm was sustaining second and third degree burns. Orcs and some tree looking creatures started to attack.

Leira was casting ice spikes and fire balls at them. I used the Strings to slice and tie the men together. Brendan had resumed wolf form to attack the orcs. Jackson was tearing people to shreds. Selendaria screeched and I noticed that the trees came to life. How had she become so powerful?

The trees uprooted themselves and created vines and extended their branches to capture us. I tried to form Strings only for the pressure of its grip to increase. I kept trying and was rewarded with cracked ribs.

Leira and Brendan were being held by the trees as well. One tree impaled Jackson through the neck.

"JACKSON!" Heather shouted as a tree grabbed her.

"NO!" I screamed. "No!" The trees grabbed ahold of Brett and slammed him on the ground. One grabbed Kyra, threatening to rip out an arm as she tried to wrestle out of their control. My heart sank as I realized that we were failing another mission, yet again. I felt deeply ashamed of what was happening to us and even angry that success seemed to avoid us at all costs.

"Follow me back home, trees." Selendaria had a wicked grin. "You will be rewarded properly once my father gets his ingredients."

"You won't get away with this!" Heather shouted as the trees started to follow her.

"I already am, dear. Try harder if there's a next time." Selendaria cackled like a cartoon witch. I stared back at wolf Brendan who was growling at her.

"That's adorable." Selendaria spoke. "You can't talk so you growl at me like you're my pet." I wanted to free myself and the others so I could tear her arms off and smack her around with them. Not particularly thoughts mentally stable people have, but it happens to the best of us, I guess.

Erika, no matter what happens, I still love you. Brendan tells me mentally.

I love you too, no matter what. But I don't want to lose you again. I just got you back. My eyes are watering.

"Well, we're fucked, aren't we?" Brett looked annoyed as the tree was shaking him as it walked.

"I guess so." Jackson was still alive, at least. His throat was healing at least.

Selendaria looked pleased with herself that she had captured us. I wanted to escape but I couldn't risk it without risking the whole group's safety.

"So what's your father's plan with us again?" Leira asked Selendaria.

"Well, he wants to bring the prophecy of the destruction of the Fae Realm. We've been alive for too long, you see." She was grinning at us. "If he could get a reenactment of what happened between the Lunar Prince and the Solar Princess, that would end it all once and for all."

"Oh, you bitch!" I try to move my arm just for the tree branches to start suffocating me.

"There's no use in fighting, Erika." Selendaria told me. "It's a prophecy, it will happen."

"No!" I shouted. "No!" Suddenly, I blacked out.

—--------------------------

"Lord Rain Deer!" I was running to a strange man. He looked very familiar but I couldn't place him.

"Yes, your Majesty?" He bowed.

"It's me, Princess Tsikiri. I need you to deliver this letter to Prince Aricame. Tell him I am alive and alright. Tell him to read the letter and to meet me under our willow tree at nightfall."

"I will, my Princess." He looked at me with the same red eyes Selendaria had. Then it hit me. Leandrus was Rain Deer. But how had he lived for so long?

"He was worshiping Dark Gods." A booming voice makes me jump up in fright. I turn to see Huitzilopochtli. "I apologize, icnocuicatlizin."

"What does that mean?" I asked him. The water goddess and him called me that a lot.

"It means little hummingbird." He spoke. "I suppose you haven't heard that before."

"Not really." I sighed. "What are we supposed to do now?"

"You are a warrior, both as Tsikiri and Erika Jimenez." A girl appeared behind me, dressed in Nahua garb and turquoise jewelry.

"Is that me now?" Tsikiri asked.

"It is, icnocuicatlizin. You are one and the same." Huitzilopochitl says. "You must become one to save the world."

"Wait....you're saying there's a chance?" I asked him.

"Prophecies are not written in stone, my child." Huitzilopochtli smiled at me. "You can change things as you wish."

His words echo the Singer's words. I look at Tsikiri.

"You look a lot better than I currently do." I told her.

"Your hair is more beautiful than mine. Well, I suppose our fractured being will become one again." Tsikiri smiled and extended her hand to mine.

"I guess so. Good luck other me." I grab her hand and I feel an electric pulse as a bright light overtakes me.

—--------------------------------------------------

I woke up on the floor of a cell, feeling bruised and achy. Leira was on the floor next to me, out cold.

"Leira..." I crawl up to her. "Leira!" I slightly shake her awake.

"Erika..." She starts to stay. I look around. There's no sign of the others.

"They separated us from the others..." I told her. I try to see if Brendan was still in wolf form.

Brendan! Brendan! Help! I shouted mentally. I heard nothing in response. Oh no.