26

The room is dark but there is a fireplace in the center. Ivan, Karenina, and the higher ups stand on the sides of the room as I carry a torch towards the fireplace. As I light the torch, I'm met with the eldest living person in my Diaz family. It was Alberto's sister, Griselda.

"Welcome, Erika. You were given the torch to the leadership of the Agency by my brother, your great-grandfather, Alberto. I embrace the new fire, I embrace you to become the Head of the family and the Agency." She smiled at me as I lay the torch down on the fireplace and it increased the fire.

She speaks in Nahuatl next.

"Daughter of the sun and of fire, you were chosen by the new heir to the Diaz legacy. Do you accept your role as the matriarch, the leader of the family and of the Agency?"

"Yes." I responded back in Nahuatl.

"Daughter of the sun and of fire, do you accept the burdens that will come with your decision to become a leader?"

"Yes."

"Daughter of the sun and of fire, will you give yourself to your family and the Agency, come what may?"

"Yes."

"We welcome you to our ranks!" She speaks. "Now give your blood to feed the gods and start your new journey." She hands me an obsidian blade. I cut the palm of my left hand and the blood dripped from my hand into the hot flames. The flames turn bright red for a second and then return to their normal color.

"Hail the new Founder!" Amanda shouts.

"All hail Erika!" Karenina says.

"Hail Erika!" Ivan shouts as I turn and bow, walking down the steps of the stairs to the fireplace. Everyone is clapping for me as I exit the room. Heather and the others are outside in the conference room, clapping for me as well. Brendan hugs me.

"Congratulations, love." He told him.

"Thanks." I cradle his face with my good hand and kiss him.

"Eww, get a room." Jackson shriveled up his nose.

"Oh, hush. I'm sure you're no saint there." I put my hand to my hip.

"Did you want to go out to eat somewhere?" Karenina asked as her and Ivan exited the ceremonial room. "And you probably want to bandage up that cut."

I looked at my palm. The cut had scarred over thanks to my god powers but I needed to wash my hands.

"You know, that scar is to remind you of your duty as the new Founder." Ivan smiled, hugging me. I hugged him back.

"I know, Dad." I pulled away. "Let's go to Texas Roadhouse, I'm starving."

"That's great. Did you guys want to come with us?" Ivan asked the others (Heather, Jackson and Brendan)

"Are you sure?" Heather asked.

"Of course, I'll pay for it. I did invite you after all." Ivan put his hand to his chest.

"I ain't saying no to free food." Jackson walks over to us.

"Same." Brendan responded, gently grabbing my hand.

"Alright then." Heather leaned on Jackson's arm. We got in Ivan's SUV and drove off to the nearest Texas Roadhouse. My mouth almost watered with the smell of cooking steak and freshly baked rolls.

"Hi, welcome to Texas Roadhouse. How many are coming in?" She asked.

"Six." Karenina spoke as Jackson and Heather were coming in. The waitress sat us down on a table and handed us silverware and rolls.

"Thanks." Karenina said as she put the rolls in the middle.

"Can I get you started on drinks?" The waitress took out her notepad and pen out.

"Could I get a Long Island tea?" Brendan asked.

"I'll take a sweet tea." Ivan responded.

"Strawberry lemonade." Karenina responded.

"Plain water with a lemon slice." Jackson responded.

"Sangria margarita." Heather spoke. "Frozen."

"Raspberry lemonade." I responded. She took our orders and walked away. I started to look at the menu.

"What are you getting, Erika?" Brendan asked me.

"Probably a sirloin steak with a loaded baked potato and a house salad. You?"

"I was thinking of the porterhouse steak with a loaded baked potato and steamed vegetables." Brendan responded.

"That sounds good." I responded back.

"I was thinking of grilled salmon with the steamed vegetables and house salad." Jackson told Heather.

"I might get the New York Strip with the same sides." Heather was looking at her menu. After a few minutes, the waitress returned with our drinks.

"Thanks." I say as she hands me mine.

"Alright, are you guys ready to order?" She asked.

"Yes, ma'am. I would like a grilled salmon filet with plain steamed vegetables and house salad with Italian dressing." Jackson spoke.

"12 ounce NY Strip with steamed vegetables and a house salad with Thousand Island dressing." Heather spoke. "Medium."

"20 ounce Porterhouse steak with loaded baked potato and steamed vegetables." Brendan spoke. "Medium rare."

"12 ounce Sirloin steak with loaded baked potato and house salad with ranch dressing. Medium." I told her.

"Half a rack of ribs with mashed potatoes and house salad with no dressing." Karenina spoke.

"20 ounce Sirloin steak with loaded baked potato and green beans." Ivan says, as we're handing our menus back at the waitress.

"I can't believe we're both having our marriage ceremony in a few days." Heather sighed. "I'm glad that we got that wedding planner."

"Yeah, me too." I smiled, taking a drink from my raspberry. Brendan gently grabs my hand from the table and holds it. I kiss his hand and then he lets go of my hand to kiss mine.

"Aww, look at you two." Karenina sighed.

"How are the kids?" I asked Ivan.

"Great, actually. They were disappointed I didn't bring them with me when I had to fly out here but they're excited to see you again." Ivan sighed.

"Aww, that's adorable. I can't wait to see them either." I took another sip of my drink.

"I didn't imagine myself being part of your wedding but here we are." Karenina smiled. "I can't wait."