19

I flew up to see a sunken down demon Brendan approaching us with rage in his eyes.

"Aricame!" I shouted at him. "Aricame!" The demon beast stopped in its tracks.

"Listen to me, this isn't you!" I shouted. He started to swipe at me. I felt a bit annoyed and managed to dodge a few before he swats me into a tree. It still hurts, shockingly and the tree splits with me attached to it. I notice Jackson has gone to hold Brendan back from me. I get up and fly to him.

"Brendan!" I shout. He roars at us and manages to slam Jackson into the ground. Jackson gets up and manages to slam Brendan into the ground in a chokehold.

"Come on, Brendan, we don't want to have to kill you again!" Jackson shouted. Heather tried to cast a blizzard spell on him but he was immune to it. Brendan managed to over power Jackson and set them ablaze.

"JACKSON!" Heather shouted, casting a water spell on him. Brendan then roared again and headed in Heather's direction. I quickly grabbed her and flew with her. Jackson looked bad, his skin rubbery and puckered from the burns.

"Are you okay?" I almost feel stupid asking that.

"Not really." Jackson gets up and slams himself into Brendan. Brendan pushes him off and gives a deafening roar which has us all covering our ears. He swats us out of the sky and we all hit the ground.

I heard Heather scream and I turn to see Brendan grabbing her. I fly up to pry her away from him but he tightens his grip. Jackson slams him out again and he lets go, allowing me to get Heather away from him but one of her wings is broken.

"Fucking hell." Heather says, grabbing on to her wing. I lift my head up to see an army of Fae flying towards us.

"We're here to help!" It was Rhyana.

"Rhyana!" Brett shouted excitedly.

"I'm glad you're alive too but we have bigger fish to fry." She motions to Jackson punching Brendan.

Half of the army splits in between fighting Brendan and aiding us. Brendan either crushes them under his feet, hands or incinerates them with a fire spell. Battle mages cast spells to protect the armies with plasma shields and wards.

Jackson manages to rip off one of Brendan's limbs. He responds by burning him even more. The air smells of burnt rubber and a strange plastic smell. Jackson hits the ground as Brendan crushes his head.

"Jackson!" Heather flies down to him and I follow her as his body is shrinking and becoming his human form. Kyra and Brett arrive to see everything unfold. Brett quickly throws his cloak on Jackson's burnt corpse.

"Jackson, no, please....." Heather says in tears.

"Heather.....I love you...." He tells her. "I love you so much."

"Jackson, why?" My voice comes out way whinier than I wanted it to.

"I didn't want to be a coward again, Erika. At least...I went out....like...a..warri-" He stops speaking. Heather lets out a wail that sounded horrible and all too familiar to my ears. Kyra started to weep into her hands with Brett comforting her. Bitter, hot tears came down my cheeks.

I had lost one of my closest friends and my reincarnated brother. All because I thought love would save my boyfriend. All because I was too stupid to fight and I had only been thinking of Brendan first and everyone else second. I thought of all the times that Jackson had managed to save my ass but I had barely returned the favor. Even if we had started out as enemies, we were almost what we once were; siblings. I planted a kiss on Jackson's burned cheek.

"Don't worry, I'll fix this. See you around." I told him.

I flew up to Brendan with Sunstone in hand. My chest was hurting from what I knew I would have to do. He roars at me and swipes at me. I manage to fly in circles, slicing his arm to pieces. I watched as he roared in pain, grabbing at his stump. I went for the other arm and did the same thing. He was roaring at me as the mages managed to fell him.

"Get his legs!" Rhyana shouted. I flew down to attack his legs when he started to transform into a giant shadow wolf. He gave a roar that brought everything to their knees with their hands over their ears. He then swiped a few groups with his paws and bit down on the crowd, shaking them to bits.

I flew up and drew Sunstone as far as my arms could reach and let out a battle cry. I stabbed him right in the head. The wolf roared, shaking its head, trying to get rid of me. I managed to pull the sword down from his head and to fly down. The wolf snapped at me as I dodged its head and stabbed it right in the heart. As I drew my sword, the wolf hit the ground and it let out a whine.

I went to the wolf that had been the love of my life, father of my only child, and my best friend for the last two years. He was shrinking down to his human self, back to being the same slightly darker but still pale skintone and with dark grey hair instead of black. His eyes were slightly opened but unmoving and unseeing.

I held his body in my arms and buried my face in his bloodied neck. I started to wail uncontrollably, feeling panic and desperation that I would never see him again. I felt all the emotions of losing him again all over again. I felt the horrible pain of failure all over again. I felt the pain of losing Jackson all over again.

"I'm sorry....I'm so sorry..." The Singer was wrong. It seemed like prophecy was set in stone after all. I heard footsteps behind me and I heard a few sorrowful cries in the background. I held Brendan like a lifeline...he had been mine for so long. Now I had nothing all over again.