21

“Fine? We believed you were dead and then we found that Leandrus had you in his possession. Then the Realm nearly gets destroyed and you almost die.” Queen Mellaria glared at us. “Some gods you are.” 

“You know I could, like, smite you right now, right?” Jackson looked at her. 

“Are you threatening me?” Mellaria raised her brow. 

“I’m not threatening, I’m merely suggesting.” Jackson crossed his arms against his chest. 

“Mother, I can take care of myself. I can defend myself.” Leira spoke in a loud and firm tone. “I am not useless.” 

“I’m not saying you are. But you are a princess.” Mellaria crossed her arms against her chest. 

“You’re right. I am a princess.” Leira spoke. “And I just helped restore the Realm to peace and prosperity. I don’t think that I need a husband to do that.” 

Mellaria and her husband’s eyes widened and their mouths dropped open. 

“How dare you!” Mellaria shouted angrily. 

“Yes, how dare I grow a backbone. I will not be marrying you, I will be marrying for myself.” Leira crossed her arms. 

“Look what you’ve done. You’re made my sweet girl into a little spoiled brat!” Mellaria snapped at us. 

“I haven't done anything. But she should at least be allowed to marry whoever she wants. She did help save the Fae Realm.” I told her. 

“Fine, you can choose your husband.” Mellaria spoke. “I don’t care if you are Gods or not but you are not welcome back to the palace.” 

“Fair enough. Good riddance, you raggedy bitch.” I told her, grinning from ear to ear. 

“We’ll take you in. We’re not that disappointed about our son losing his future wife.” The Queen of Meryll spoke. 

Leira looks at us and gives us all an individual hug. 

“Thanks for everything.” She spoke. 

“No problem. Good luck, Leira.” I told her. 

“Thank you.” She said. She hugged Brendan and Jackson. 

“Take care of the girls, will you?” She asked, smiling. 

“Always.” Jackson pats her back. 

“Of course.” Brendan says. 

She hugs Heather and Kyra. 

“Good luck, you two.” She says. She then walks off with her parents.

“Thank you, your Majesty.” I told her. 

“Oh, thank God.” I heard the Prince of Meryll say under his breath. I’m sure that he’s relieved to hear the news as well. 

We start to walk away with the Meryll crowd. Brendan wraps an arm around me, smiling. 

“I’m glad to have you back.” I tell him, leaning my head against his warm chest. 

“I am too.” He kisses the top of my head. We’re holding hands again and I feel a lot better. I might eventually feel like myself again. I had a whole life ahead of me now. Now Brendan and I are married, have children, and get to enjoy our lives as mortals before ascending back to the heavens. 

“I can’t believe I’m a deity now.” Jackson said.

“I know right. We’re gods…” Heather sighed, shaking her head. “I did not see this happening to me.” 

“Neither did I. I guess we live and we learn.” I say, smiling at her. 

“So Kyra, I was thinking…since the Royal Family of Illinata fired me….could I come with you guys?” He asked. 

Kyra looked like she was thinking about it. 

“I think you’d make a great addition to the team.” I told him. Maybe I could convince Alberto after all. 

“I think so too. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try. But our world is very, very different from yours.” Kyra spoke to him. 

“I can deal with that. It’s not like I was well loved here anyway.” Brett shrugged as he put an arm across her. 

“Well, then.” Kyra smiled. “I wasn’t well loved either.” We continued to walk. The forest was blooming with life and it looked like a painting from the vibrant colors coming from the woods. Brendan picked up a few flowers from the meadow and handed them to me. 

“Thank you, they’re beautiful.” I told him. 

“They pale compared to you.” He spoke softly, smiling at me. 

“That’s so sweet of you.” I kiss him on the cheek. I can’t believe that he’s my husband now. 

“I love you.” He squeezes my hand tightly. 

“I love you too.” I look at him, smiling. I can’t imagine myself anywhere else for the time being. 

“I want you to prepare a feast for the heroes from the human realm.” I heard the Queen of Meryll say. “I want the finest food and the best music. And order the seamstress to make three fine dresses and three menswear suits as soon as possible.” 

“Yes, ma’am.” I heard one of the servants say. Wow, that sounds like it’ll be fun. There’s a few carriages waiting. Brendan, Jackson, Heather and I go into one for ourselves. The clothes that the gods gifted us are really comfortable and cool. Too bad we lost most of our stuff during the battle. I guess that whoever finds it will have fun trying to figure out where those things came from. 

“I really need a hot shower.” Heather says. “I’m sore all over.” 

“Same.” I told her. 

“What do you think is going to happen in the Fae Realm now?” Heather was looking out of the window. 

“I have no idea.” Brendan shakes his head. 

“They’ll have to figure out something without us. We do have to go back to our realm to let everyone else know what happened.” Jackson sighed. “I can’t wait to see everyone’s reaction to Brendan being back.” 

“I’m going to have to apologize.” Brendan sighed. “I know it’ll take them a minute.” 

“Well, it’s not your fault that the evil Fae King kidnapped you and the investigators didn’t even try to match your remains to whatever they found.” I told them. 

“I know…I can’t wait to be back home.” Brendan sighed. “I’m ready for some peace and quiet.” 

“I agree. I wish we could vacation after this.” I spoke. Maybe in two months but not right now. I’ll be okay.