Chapter 1: The Bus / Introductions

The clear sky and pleasant weather were refreshing. I thought I could fall asleep.

My peace and tranquility were suddenly interrupted.

- Don't you think you should give up your seat?

For a moment, I opened my eyes that were about to close.

As I looked up, I saw an elderly woman standing unsteadily while an office worker tried to find her a seat.

Ranpo quickly stood up and offered his seat to the elderly lady without hesitation.

Ranpo: "Don't worry, ma'am. I'm perfectly fine standing for a while."
The elderly woman was surprised to be treated with some kindness and apologized many times. "No, don't worry. The world is for the young, so please, take a seat."
Ranpo smiled and gently guided her to sit. "It's alright, rest for a moment. When you're ready, you can continue your journey."

The entire bus was surprised by this completely selfless act of kindness.

Koenji: "Haha, you're an interesting one, Closed-Eyes Guy."

Ranpo: "Oh... thank you very much." *Ranpo smiles* "But my name is not 'Closed-Eyes Guy.' My name is Ranpo Edogawa, the greatest detective in the world." *Ranpo extends his hand towards the person, clearly mocking the situation but with good intentions.*

Koenji: "Haha, Detective Boy is a better nickname, don't you think?" *He continued laughing while tousling his hair.*

Ranpo: "No! You must not call me that! My name is Ranpo Edogawa, and you can't keep calling me Closed-Eyes Guy or Detective Boy. My name is not a game." *Ranpo gets a bit annoyed but conceals it with a good sense of humor.*

*I simply got angry and moved to another part of the bus until a girl tapped me on the shoulder.*

Ranpo: "Hey, what do you need?" Ranpo responds friendly.

"Oh, I just wanted to thank you for helping that elderly lady. My name is Kushida Kikyo." The friendly girl who tapped his shoulder seemed to have no malice. At first glance, Ranpo didn't think twice, but an idea crossed his mind.

*Ranpo casually talks with Kushida about trivial things for a while until the bus comes to a stop, and as everyone is getting off, Ranpo and Kushida stay behind.*

Ranpo: "Before we part ways, let me ask you something... Why are you acting? Or better yet, let me guess... You're seeking recognition from others, aren't you?"

*Kushida stays silent for a moment, with a smile on her face. Then, she responds.*

Kushida: "How did you know?"

*She leans forward, with a curious look to the common eye, but Ranpo clearly sees the anger in hers.*

*Ranpo always finds people hiding something interesting, but this woman who approached him catches his attention. So, he doesn't mind her asking and answers honestly.*

Ranpo: "Because your eyes give you away. You have an angry look that you can only hide for a few seconds. So why don't you spill the beans... What are you hiding?"

*Kushida's darkness deepens as she listens to Ranpo, unable to hide a smile at the accuracy of his words.*

Kushida: "You're the first person to notice that. It's quite impressive of you, Edogawa."

*She then grabs Ranpo's hand and places it on her chest.*

"If you say a word, I'll tell them you tried to assault me, alright?"

*Is this blackmail?* *Ranpo feels surprised, although he doesn't show it. Instead, he smiles faintly and lets the girl hold onto him. How should he respond to this? What should he do? What does she want from him? Ranpo wonders if he should continue this game or take things more seriously.*