Chapter 3: The Conceited Loli / Second Day of Classes

After buying 7 full bags of candy and snacks, Ranpo found himself facing a new dilemma—how was he going to carry all those bags to his dorm room? After trying to drag them for 5 meters, Ranpo gave up and decided to sit on a nearby bench to eat.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Several minutes passed, and Ranpo was still sitting on the bench, surrounded by a substantial amount of potato chips. He looked tired, almost defeated. As he glanced up, he met a girl. He didn't say anything, just seemed to be waiting for her to speak.

–"Is this seat taken? Fufufu."*She said with a smug chuckle as she sat close to him and began eating the snacks she had, without waiting for a response*"By the way, these are delicious~?"

*Ranpo's expression shifted from surprise to annoyance. However, he tried to remain civil—after all, she seemed nice, so he didn't want to be rude*"Oh... Erm. This seat..."*He paused and crossed his arms, looking away.*"...This seat, well..."*He paused for a moment and then looked at the girl. Her voice was cute, and she looked... cute*"I guess you can sit here."

As she sat near him, they both ate in comfortable silence.

–"Are you Ranpo Edogawa, right?"

Ranpo: "Ah, well, yes, it's me, I suppose. *Flattens his candy with his foot.* Do I know you from somewhere?"

–"It's normal to know the reason I'm not dead."*Ranpo falls silent, giving the girl a once-over. He is surprised to see her with a cane, which meant she had some kind of disability.*

Ranpo: "Oh, but... Can I ask you a question?"

– "Oh, of course, go ahead. What do you want to know?"

"Uh, well, it's a bit personal, so if you don't want to answer, that's fine."
*Ranpo pushes his hair away from his face and looks at the girl with his eyes slightly widened.*"How did I save you?"*He asks the question in the most delicate and respectful manner possible, with no trace of insensitivity in his inquiry. His voice is also soft and pleasant.*

– "First of all, I don't think I introduced myself yet. My name is Sakayanagi Arisu." *She makes a slight bow.* "Five years ago, I was kidnapped, and the police couldn't help me. So my father turned to a newly formed Detective Agency... After everything was over, my father told me that a child detective solved the case in a matter of seconds. Does that ring a bell now?"

*Ranpo is surprised, which is evident in his wide-open eyes, as he blinks in amazement.* "Oh... That name sounds quite familiar."*It takes a moment as he thinks about the question with his head lowered, and finally, he says:*"Oh... yes... that was me." *Although he says it as if it weren't a big deal, he seems quite proud of himself.*"Yes, indeed! And guess what? I was the one who solved the case. So, you weren't mistaken!" *He leans back on his bench and smiles.* *He suddenly remembers an event even after five years, which is quite remarkable. His response is met with one of his smug smiles.*

Sakayanagi:*How surprising...*"Fufufu~ It was a pleasure chatting, but I need to get back to my room."

Ranpo: "Oh, sure, sure. *He feels a slight disappointment at hearing that; he wanted to keep chatting with her.*"

After she left, he gathered the remnants of his snack massacre, took the bags to his room, and threw himself onto his bed.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

On the second day of classes, he could give a profound monologue about how complicated the classes were or some discovery, but no. When he arrived at the classroom, he laid his head on his arms and simply slept until lunchtime when he pulled out a large amount of candy, to the class's utter bewilderment.

— "Pitiful."

Upon hearing that, he turned around and saw the girl with black hair insulting the expressionless boy.

— "What? What's pitiful?"

― "I want someone to invite me. I want to have lunch with someone." Your thoughts are really obvious.

— "You're alone too. Don't you feel the same? Or do you plan to stay alone for the next three years?"

Ranpo: *Without saying anything, he turns his chair around and places a piece of candy in front of each of their faces.* There, now neither of you is eating alone.

– "Eh, what?"

– "Thanks...😐"

Ranpo: "Black Hair-chan, you need to be more like Expressionless-kun!"

– "Black Hair-chan / Expressionless-kun?😐"

Ranpo: "I don't know your names, so I gave you nicknames. Don't you like them?"

– *Sigh* I guess I'll tell you my name so you won't bother me. I'm Horikita Suzune.

– I'm Ayanokoji Kiyotaka😐.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

— "I was thinking of going to eat, does anyone want to come with me?" Hirata said as he stood up.

— "I'll go too!"

— "Me too, me too!"

Feeling a bit lonely due to the lack of other boys, Hirata looked around the classroom but didn't find anyone else to accompany him, so he was dragged away by the girls.

Ranpo: "Hey, there's room for a Super Genius Detective!"

Some of the girls were immediately disappointed they couldn't be alone with Hirata, but the rest found Ranpo's presence endearing, so they accepted him.

Hirata: "Of course, Edogawa-kun, it would be a pleasure."

Ranpo: "So what are we waiting for? Let's go!"

The walk to the cafeteria could be summarized as the girls talking (flirting) with Hirata. Until Hirata himself asked Ranpo a question.

Hirata: "Edogawa-kun, are you really a detective?"

Ranpo: "Of course! I've solved many mysteries in the past, and I plan to solve many more in the future! That's what makes the world's greatest detective! Hahaha!"

Matsushita: "Aren't you too young? I thought all detectives were old and smoked or something."

Ranpo: "Tsk, tsk. You shouldn't judge a person before getting to know them! I've been trained since a young age! And I have a special ability, 'Super Deduction'! Thanks to my ability, I can solve any mystery! Who needs a detective who's old and smokes? Am I not here or what? Haha~"

Karuizawa: "I don't believe you. Besides, you don't seem very smart."

Ranpo: "What!? What have I done that suggests I'm not intelligent?" *Ranpo leans back, looking incredulous.* "I'm not an idi—" *Ranpo stops. He looks quite offended but then calms down.* "I guess I'll have to prove it. I'll use my ability on you and tell you something that's impossible for me to know." *He takes off his glasses and puts them on, revealing his beautiful green eyes.* *Ranpo leans closer to Karuizawa and whispers in her ear.*"

"You were bullied in middle school."