Chapter 14: Manabu vs. Ranpo and Kiyo

After she left, and considering I wouldn't be able to fall asleep so quickly, I decided to go buy a drink.

In the lobby, I purchased some juice from the vending machine and headed back to the elevator. But when I turned to my right, I found myself facing a bewildered Ayanokoji. He gave me a slight nod of recognition.

Ayanokoji: "Hmm?"

He seemed to be looking at the elevator, and at the last second before it opened, he hid behind the vending machine, pulling me along with him.

At least he seems to have that kind of consideration; I must say his social skills are improving quite rapidly.

Shortly after, while being cautious of his surroundings, Horikita exited the building. After she disappeared into the darkness, we followed her.

As we were about to turn the corner, a tug on the collar of my clothes and a hand over my mouth stopped me.

Horikita stopped moving. There stood the figure of another person.

— Suzune. I didn't think you'd follow me here.

Manabu-Sempai?

Suzune: "Mou, I'm different from the useless me you know, Nii-san. I came here to catch up with you."

Horikita: "Catch up with me, huh? I heard you're in Class D; it seems nothing has changed in the last 3 years. Because you've always been looking at my back, you've never been able to see your own shortcomings. Choosing to come to this school was another one of your mistakes."

Suzu: "That... that's not true. I will climb to Class A. And then..."

Horikita: "That's impossible. You'll never reach Class A. Rather, your class will crumble before that. This school is not as easy as you think."

Suzu: "I definitely, definitely will reach Class A."

Horikita: "I already said it's impossible. You're an unreasonable sister." *He grabbed his younger sister's wrist and pushed her against the wall.* "No matter how much I avoid you, you're still my younger sister. If people start to know about you, I'll be disgraced. Leave this school immediately."

Suzune: "N-no... ughh. I will, I will definitely climb to Class A!"

Horikita: "Foolish, really. Do you want to relive the painful experiences of the past?"

Suzune: "Nii-san, I..."

Horikita: "You don't have the power or qualities to aim for Class A. Understand that."

Horikita's body approached, as if he was about to take action. But at that moment, I threw my drink directly into Manabu's face, and simultaneously, Ayanokoji grabbed Manabu's arm. Ignoring his orange soda-soaked face, the latter asked, "What the hell? Who are they?"

Looking at his own arm, he looked at Ayanokoji with a sharp gleam in his eyes.

Ranpo: "A Pleasure, Manabu-Sempai~"

Suzune: "A-ayanokouji-kun and E-dogawa!?"

Kiyotaka: "You were trying to throw her to the ground, right? It's concrete, you know. Just because they're siblings doesn't mean you can do whatever you want."

Manabu: "Eavesdropping isn't admirable."

Whether annoying or not, it doesn't give him the right to treat her like that, especially considering she's the reason for all his effort.

Ranpo/Ayanokoji: "Let her go/Just let go of her hand."

Manabu: "That's what I should be saying."

There was silence for a few seconds as Ayanokoji and Manabu locked eyes.

Suzune: "Stop... please."

Ayanokoji reluctantly let go of his arm, and Manabu responded with a quick punch to his face. He skillfully leaned back, only to dodge a dirty kick to his vital organs.

I have to say, Manabu-Sempai is strong. By his attacking style, he's probably a master of Aikido. But it's clear that Ayanokoji is holding back to maintain his facade.

Manabu exhaled before extending his arm toward Kiyotaka, who responded by hitting him.

Manabu: "Good reflexes. I didn't think you'd dodge each one. You also understood what I was trying to do. Were you taught in some way?"

Finally stopping his attacks, he asked.

Concrete-faced Guy: "Yes, I played the piano and did calligraphy. In elementary school, I even won the championship in a music contest."

The worst part is that it's true; he has pianist fingers and almost computer-like handwriting.

Manabu: "Are you also from Class D? It seems that Class D has possibilities this year... Suzune."

Releasing Horikita's arm, he slowly looked at me for a few seconds before turning back to Ayanokoji.

Manabu: "Suzune, do you have friends? I'm honestly surprised."

Suzune: "Th-they n-"

Ranpo: "Yep, we're friends, though putting up with her takes a great effort on my part."

Suzune looked at her brother while shaking her head at those words.

Manabu: "As always, you're confusing loneliness with isolation. And with you two, Ayanokouji and Edogawa, things are going to get interesting."

Walking past me, he disappeared into the night. The confident student council president.

Suzune: "I will reach Class A, even if I have to die. That's the only way."

Ranpo: *sighing* "I guess I can understand your desperate need for attention."

After those words, I waved goodbye as I walked back to my room.

Now, Ayanokoji needs time to persuade Suzune to continue with the study group, as long as he doesn't cross the line, I won't get in his way.

At this point, it's obvious that Ayanokoji Kiyotaka is not just a boy with trouble expressing himself; he is a sociopath, and a very dangerous one.

One who should stay away from normal people... one for whom I see no possibility of change or redemption, but for now, I'll let him have his normal life as long as he doesn't endanger anyone.

Although considering what they must have invested in his development, it's only a matter of time before they come to take him back, especially considering who his father is and how much influence he has.

I await your comments!