Chapter 12: Horikita Manipulates the Best Detective and the Perfect Human

A little while after leaving the issue in the hands of the student council, I returned to my room to find Hirata waiting at my door.

Hirata: *looking nervous but expectant* "H-Hey... would you mind if... we talked...? It's important..."

Ranpo: *smiles and welcomes Hirata into his room* "Of course! Come in! Is there something you need to tell me?" *gestures towards his chair and invites Hirata to sit with a gesture* "So, I guess you want to talk about the study groups?"

Hirata: *sits down and adjusts himself* "Um... Yes, it's actually related to that." *asks a question* "Edogawa-Kun... could you help me with something?"

Ranpo: "Call me Ranpo, and of course, I'll help you. What's it about?" *takes another bite of his snack*

Hirata: *takes a deep breath* "Horikita and Ayanokoji turned down taking on a group, and I..."

Ranpo: *grinning mischievously* "Don't worry about that. In a few weeks, you'll hear that Horikita will be in charge of Yamauchi, Ike, and Sudou."

Ayanokoji: "Though it depends on whether they make it work or not. Maybe I should ask Kushida to help them? Although, if I push her too much, she might explode from stress."

Hirata: "Really? Wow! In that case, I'm a bit more relieved..." *smiles* "So, can I ask you for one more thing?"

Ranpo: *crosses his legs casually* "Of course, go ahead. What is it?" *seems relaxed and nonchalant.*

Hirata: "When the time comes, can you tutor the girls in my group?... I need to mingle with the rest of the class, and the girls have a good impression of you from when we went out to eat."

Ranpo: "... Eh? The girls?" *looks a bit puzzled, but quickly realizes what Hirata means* "W...Well, I can try...!"

Hirata: *gestures of gratitude and smiles* "You'd be doing me a great favor. Thank you!"

---

It's the first weekend in May. Ike and the others started listening to the teachers in silence. Only Sudou continued to sleep during class, but no one tried to stop him. However, Sudou received the anger of many of his classmates every day.

Right now, I'm leaning on my arms, trying to use my hands to conceal the fact that I'm sleeping.

— "W-Whoa!?"

Was that Ayanokoji? It seems like poor guy was thinking the same as me, but he didn't take into account that the only way to have complete freedom is by demonstrating power. For example, look at Koenji and me. We never do anything or pay attention, but no one can say anything because we're the best. "The two Jokers of Class D."

Chabashira: "What's wrong, Ayanokouji? You suddenly shouted. Are you in your rebellious phase?"

Ayanokoji: "N-No. Sorry, Chabashira-sensei. Some dust got into my eye."

Normally, students would have started whispering, but they stayed quiet and instead sent glances, being cautious about their points.

Turning around, I stared at Horikita intently. Why does she have a compass in her hand? I don't even think there's a reason to use it during class. As soon as the class ended, I went to Horikita and Ayanokoji.

Ayanokoji: "There are things that are okay to do and things that are not! Compasses are dangerous!"

Horikita: "Are you mad at me?"

Ayanokoji: "You have a dangerous weapon in your hand."

Horikita: "Are you saying I stabbed Ayanokouji-kun with the compass point?"