Chapter 4: Karuizawa / Club Fair

Karuizawa's heart raced, and she began to sweat. She looked scared but also tried to hide it. She didn't want anyone to know.

Ranpo: *Ranpo smiles and stands up.* "Karuizawa, I think you need a break from all this conversation. Maybe you should go outside for some fresh air and take a nap to relax. I hope you'll feel better soon! It must be tough for someone to guess who you have a crush on, right?" *He places his hand on her shoulder and looks at her with a kind smile.*

Karuizawa: "Y-yes, you're right... I-I feel a bit overwhelmed and need to get some fresh air..." *She looks into his eyes.* "Edogawa-kun, but can you promise me that this conversation stays between us? I'd feel more comfortable if no one else found out..."

Ranpo: "You have nothing to worry about! That information is completely safe with me! I won't say a word! I swear on it, I won't say anything." *He extends his hand.* *Ranpo appears quite loyal and supportive. It seems like he genuinely cares about her.*

Karuizawa: *She shakes Ranpo's hand.* "Thank you, Edogawa-kun. You're really a good person." *She leaves to get some fresh air.*

*Ranpo smiles and watches her leave the room.* *He looks at his classmates and nods.* "See? *He turns to them* Being a detective is about looking out for everyone's safety." *He says it with conviction as he sits at a cafeteria seat and starts eating.* *He whispers, less confident:* "Or at least that's what the President said..."

Hirata: "Is she... going to be okay?"

Ranpo: "Yes, she's just a bit surprised. She'll be back in a few minutes."

*The girls looked worried in Karuizawa's direction.* "I hope so..." - said girl X number 1.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

After lunch, Ranpo simply went to his room, completely ignoring the upcoming classes. If there's one thing Ranpo dislikes, it's leaving something unresolved.

*Ranpo shakes his head as if talking to himself.* "I knew it... How did I know? Well... the truth is, it wasn't very difficult." *He pauses from eating sweets and starts thinking.* "She... She was very uncomfortable and nervous... Why? I understand her... She doesn't want anyone to find out, it's understandable." *He continues to think.* "And then when I mentioned the bullying... there was an immediate reaction in the region of her abdomen." *He closes his eyes for a few seconds, organizing everything in his head.* "That probably destroyed her independence.

Karuizawa Kei is a parasite.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

After finishing his internal monologue, the voice from a loudspeaker echoed even within Ranpo's room, almost causing the death of a Ranpo who was already in the 4th stage of sleep.

— "Today at 5 pm in gymnasium number 1, there will be a club fair. For those interested in clubs, please come to gymnasium number 1. I repeat, today—"

*Ranpo wakes up with a start, sitting in his seat. He seems to fall asleep quite quickly.* "What time is it?" *The sound of the voice surprises him and wakes him up.* "A club fair? Is there a Candy Club?" *He rubs his face to try to shake off the sleep. It seems like he's going to the fair.*

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Upon arriving at the fair, Ranpo found an excessive number of students. But Ranpo didn't care too much.

He came with only 3 objectives:

1. Nap Club: In case it exists, it would be the ideal place in the world for Ranpo.

2. Candy/Food Club: Same reason as the previous point.

3. Eat the free samples from all the booths: Without a doubt, the best way to attract someone is by giving them something that catches their attention, and the easiest way would be to offer candy or food for participating in a game or something.

—"Thank you for waiting, first-year students. A representative from each club will explain their activities and how to join. I'm Tachibana, the student council secretary and responsible president for this club fair. Nice to meet you." *After the greeting from Tachibana, the club representatives lined up on the gymnasium stage.*

There were various representatives, from those wearing judo uniforms to beautiful kimonos.

But Ranpo quickly lost interest, although he kept an ear out in case he found one of his objectives.

The gymnasium had a lively atmosphere. The club representatives, not to mention the supervising teachers, continued their explanations with offended looks. They must be frantic to get as many members as possible.

When the senpais finished their explanations, they stepped off the stage and approached some tables. They were probably setting up a reception area so they could speak to people one-on-one and sign them up. Finally, everyone exited the stage until only one person remained. Everyone's gaze was focused on the stage.

The person was about 170 cm tall, not very tall.

A slender body, black and straight hair.

Sharp glasses and a calculating gaze.

His body looked muscular, and his posture suggested he practiced martial arts.

And another thing, he looked incredibly similar to Horikita.

—"Give it your best shot!"

—"Did you forget to bring your report cards?"

—"Ha, ha, ha, ha!"

The first-year students said that to this person. However, the senpai on stage didn't hesitate at all. Neither the laughter nor the taunts seemed to reach him. Even when the laughter started to die down, his apathetic expression didn't change. The students began to wonder, "What's this senpai doing?" and there started to be noise in the gymnasium. Even then, the guy didn't move. He stood there, staring at the first-year students.

The relaxed atmosphere gradually changed in an unexpected direction. It was an electrifying change in mood. Eventually, the entire gymnasium was enveloped in a terrible, tense atmosphere. There were no instructions to follow; no one dared to speak; it was a terrible silence.

Ranpo: "You can talk now! You have control of the atmosphere; don't make me waste my time!"

*With a quick glance at Ranpo, the student began to speak.* "My name is Horikita Manabu, and I'm the student council president... The student council is also looking for first-year people to replace those who graduate. There are no strict requirements to apply, but those who are interested should not join another club. In general, we do not accept any candidates who participate in other clubs."

His tone was soft, but the mood remained tense. He silenced the entire gymnasium.

Horikita: "Furthermore, we, the student council, are not looking for anyone with naive thinking. Not only will such a person not be chosen, but they will inevitably become a stain on this school. The

student council is only responsible for regulating the students, but the school expects much more. Those of you who understand can become potential candidates... Thank you for coming, guys. With this, the club fair has ended. Now we will open the reception area for anyone interested in joining. The reception area will only be open until the end of April, so anyone interested afterward can submit their applications directly to the club."

With the president's help, the tense atmosphere slowly dissipated.

Shortly after, the club representatives opened the reception area.

Immediately after, Ranpo was the first to approach the cooking club, who were at a booth full of different dishes and sweets.

— *A girl approached him.* "Come closer, Kohai, they're free samples!"

Ranpo: "Free samples? Is there a limit to how much I can eat?"

*The innocent girl, looking at Ranpo's small frame, shook her head.* "There's no limit, eat as much as you want!"

[Do you think Ranpo should create the Detective, Candy, and Nap Club (DCNC)?]