Chapter 21: Ranpo and the Trial of Class C

"You cannot change the world if you don't change yourself first." 

- Ranpo Edogawa

The day that would decide the fate of Class B was already here. As I entered the classroom, I saw the usual scene. Sakura sat quietly by herself, not engaging in the conversations of other students. Her expression seemed even more somber than usual. But in any case, she still came to school.

Ranpo: "Are you okay? It's normal to be nervous."

Sakura: "Ah, yes. I'm fine... I thought things might be difficult if I skipped today, so..."

I suppose the fact that she had met Class B, and the excessive amount of gratitude and kindness she received, makes it impossible for her to back out.

Ranpo: "Everything will be fine."

Anyway, no matter what Sakura does, Class C lost before even attacking.

Sakura: "Yes..."

Ike and Yamauchi looked at Sakura with great curiosity. That was because they now knew about her idol identity, even after she asked Kushida not to tell anyone.

Sakura: "It's okay."

She was aware that we knew about her double life. Perhaps working as an idol had made her sensitive to subtle changes in a room.

---

When the bell for the end of the class rang, Horikita and I stood up. We were both asked to accompany Sakura to the location, in addition to presenting a detailed report with the investigation.

I turned to see Sakura still sitting, her body stiff. She stood up, her lips trembling a bit.

Sakura: "Yes... I'm fine. Thank you..."

Sakura was much tenser than I expected. If she was in this psychological state before the meeting began, she might not be able to speak satisfactorily.

Horikita: "Let's go. We'll make a bad impression if we're late."

We were asked to be at the location by 4:20 PM. It was already 4:10, giving both classes at least 10 minutes to present their arguments before our arrival. When the four of us reached the faculty room, a teacher signaled for us to wait until she gave the order.

*But I simply stood in front of the door and opened it noisily to the horror of Suzune and Sakura* "Ah, my apologies, my apologies. I couldn't wait to show off my genius, you know?" *I said with a bright smile and a cheerful tone* "Besides, it's pretty obvious that this trial is a farce, right, Manabu-Chan?"

Manabu adjusts his glasses sighing, while we both listen to Yakuza-Sensei complain for a few seconds (If only he were an attractive and suicidal teacher...) Suzune stays in place totally immobile, thinking of a solution to avoid ending up more humiliated in front of her brother, it seems that the presence of her brother is the most determining factor in her talent.

Manabu: "I hope what you bring is worth it." *Nods* "Class D is free to present their evidence." *Tries to walk to the podium while Sakura stays outside but Manabu says* "I said Class D, your testimony is listed as part of the student council, your testimony will influence my verdict but has no opinion in this discussion."

It seems to be his way of trying to corner us... or to help Suzune, I suppose I should have brought Ayanokoji to deal with Suzune... Although I also want to see how much potential Horikita Suzune has.