Chapter 12 part 2

Chapter 12 part 2

Samuel

He glanced over at Matias who was sitting stiffly. For the first time Samuel really realized how people would do awful thinks and just get away with it while Matias took all the blame. They probably didn't even feel guilty for pinning all the blame on the villain.

"One of the victims, James Daniel, has agreed to talk to us. In the attack he suffered a broken leg and finger."

The lady finally stopped talking as it cut to a man who was standing in front of some brick wall.

"James.." Samuel just barely heard Matias whisper.

He looked back over at him to see him leaning forward to the tv with an eager look on his face.

"Do you know him?" Samuel asked without thinking

Matias only nodded, his eyes still glued to the screen.

"I was attacked right here by the villain around 4am this morning. He broke my leg and one of my fingers." The man, James Daniel, spoke.

His voice was stern, not an ounce of fear in it. He couldn't be older than thirty and he honestly could pull off being a teenager if he wanted to.

"He told me to watch my back. That he wouldn't hesitate to do much worse. The whole thing was confusing, he just beat me up a bit, threatened me, and left. I've never even encountered him before" he continued

Samuel looked over at Matias, debating what he could say. He was clearly trying to pretend that everything was fine, but his breakdown earlier proved otherwise.

"How do you know him?" He settled for asking

Matias looked back at him, leaning back a bit. His eyes were red and the expression on his face was completely blank.

"He's an old friend" Matias mumbled, looking away from Samuel and back at the tv.

Samuel sighed quietly. He was happy that Matias was opening up to him much more than before, but it was clear he was still trying not to.

"It truly is awful how people can just pin this stuff on you. I mean, they've been doing it for years and nobody questions it" Samuel tried to comfort Matias, but he was running out of things to say.

He glued his eyes to Matias who was looking everywhere but back at him.

"This is different" Matias stated "they aren't just blaming me for a crime they committed"

Samuel became aware of how fast his heart was beating when Matias finally looked back at him. He seemed to stare right past his eyes and into his soul. He shivered, waiting for Matias to continue.

"They committed a crime just so they could blame it on me." His voice seemed distant, both quiet and loud at once.

"What?" Samuel mumbled without realizing. He mentally face palmed.

Matias sighed. He didn't really seem upset, but what else could he possibly be feeling? Samuel just couldn't put a finger on Matias's emotions.

"Usually the crimes that I get blamed for are just people fucking around. They do whatever they want knowing that they can just say it was the villain and get away with it. But this time it wasn't like that. They specifically went out and caused trouble purely so they could say it was me. They had no other motive"

Samuel nodded slowly. He sat wordless as his brain pieced everything together. After he was sure he understood, he spoke up.

"So they have something personally against you? That's why they did it?" He questioned