Chapter 33 part 1

Chapter 33 part 1

Matias

Almost a week passed—Matias, Samuel, and Ellie doing nearly nothing the whole time— when Samuel's phone rang with a random number.

Him and Matias were sitting on the couch while Ellie was back in her room, so Samuel answered and put it on speaker for both of them to hear.

"Samuel?" A familiar voice spoke through the phone.

"Officer Hinton?" Samuel replied.

"Ah, hello" the officer greeted after confirming who he was talking to. "Is Matias with you?"

"Yep" Matias interjected.

He couldn't help but be a bit irritated at the fact that he was calling. He knew it wasn't the officers fault, of course, but any news about the court or about the new villain could very well ruin the peacefulness that had formed around them.

"Perfect" the officer said in a less than bubbly tone. "Well, a day has been set up for you both to talk to your lawyers."

Matias bit his tongue to avoid groaning. He knew it was for the better, but nothing could take away his frustration at having to go to court.

"When?" Samuel asked eagerly.

Matias rolled his eyes as Samuel sat forward in anticipation. He knew that Samuel wasn't exactly happy about court either, but he was definitely more willing to clear the villains name and put the new villain behind bars.

The officer cleared his throat and Matias could feel his hesitation.

"Today, if it's at all possible. Ideally in the next hour or two" he answered, though he sounded confident in his answer.

This time Matias really did groan, throwing his head back and running a hand through his hair.

Samuel elbowed him, but kept from making a sound for Officer Hinton to hear.

"We'll be there" he confirmed politely, though his face was rock hard as he stared at Matias.

"Perfect, it'll be in one of the prison meeting rooms, unfortunately" the officer chuckled before hanging up without getting a response.

Matias groaned, again, and Samuel slapped him on the arm.

"Oh get over yourself" Samuel scoffed. "You know as well as I do how important this is"

Matias almost rolled his eyes, but resisted. "Yeah, yeah" he mumbled before lifting himself off the couch.

"What about Ellie?" He asked, making his way towards the bedroom.

He heard Samuel's footsteps right behind his own, but he didn't give a response for a bit too long.

"I mean, Lexi said she's good with kids, right?"

Matias swore his heart stopped as he turned around to face Samuel.

"Lexi" he repeated in a monotone voice.

Samuel raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms.

"You want Lexi to watch your kid?" Matias finally asked, disbelief coating his tone.

Samuel glanced over to the other side of the room and then back at Matias.

"Should I.. not want her to?" He questioned in response.

Matias considered for a moment. She always behaved very hyper and outgoing, but she could be responsible when it was needed. Besides, surely she wouldn't let anything harm Ellie.