Chapter 33 part 2

Chapter 33 part 2

Samuel

Samuel didn't know if he should drive away, or stay still, or get out and fight. His adrenaline was so intense it froze him, leaving him sat in his car staring.

The new villain wasn't hurting anyone, not yet, and she wasn't doing any damage to the area around them. She was just lifting herself up into the air and staying there. Doing nothing.

This fact might've brought Samuel comfort. Some kind of reassurance that he had time to think of come up with some kind of plan. I didn't, however, because she was staring right at his car. Right into his eyes.

Even the distance between them didn't seem to blur her gaze. There was no thought, no possibility, that she was looking at someone or something else.

"Shit" Matias mumbled, his chair making a shifting sound.

Samuel became overly conscious of everything. How fast his heart was pounding. How shallow his breathing was. The feeling of his stomach as he moved only slightly. More than anything though, he realized how weak and worn out his powers were.

"Matias" he finally choked, his eyes not leaving Meera.

"We have to get out. She wants to fight." Matias whispered in a hurry, his voice dry and surprisingly monotone.

Samuel wanted to say no. He wanted to say that was a terrible idea. But he couldn't. He knew it was the best option. The only option.

Without another word Samuel opened his door, stepping out. Matias followed in turn, the two standing on either side of the car.

Samuel had begun to break a sweat in spite of the early winter air. He testing his powers slightly in his left hand, the yellow streaks fizzing out and being harder to control then he remembered.

As he glanced around he realized that all the cars around them were empty and the sidewalks had been abandoned. Nobody was here but them. Samuel, Matias, and the new villain.

Out of the corner of his eye Samuel saw Matias begin to walk. His posture was straight and his shoulders were stiff. Samuel knew he must've been scared out of his mind, but to anyone else he had to of appeared confident.

When Samuel began to walk after him his legs were weak. His injuries— primarily his stomach— ached much worse than normal but he had no choice but to ignore it.

As the two approached Meera lowered herself to the ground, but did nothing. No attacks were thrown, and no sudden moves were made.

"Hasn't it been a while?" She asked, seeming eerily happy. Excited, even.

"Since you attacked us? Or the city?" Matias spat.

Samuel bit his tongue. If he could he would've smacked Matias for his smart remarks in such a terrible situation.

Meera hummed with a bitter chuckle.

"Been even longer since you attacked Guzantee" she countered, "if I remember correctly that will be exactly four years ago sometime next week"

Samuel tensed. The fact that she knew such a small detail and date freaked him out more than he'd like to admit.

He managed to glance over at Matias who now had wide eyes and a furious look.

"And the week after that will be my four year anniversary of working at the coffee shop" the new villain continued with a cheeky grin.

She walked closer and closer to Matias with a smug stride and an odd sense on confidence.