23

"Why are we here?" Maggie whispers to Hermione who shrugs

"Attendance is mandatory so it must be important," Hermione shrugs.

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception," Professor McGonagall begins speaking to the students. "On Christmas Eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost- a dance"

"Oh dear," Maggie shakes her head. "Rita Skeeter will have a field day with this. Especially if a certain Quidditch player asks you to the dance"

"Oh yes," Hermione rolls her eyes. "The Bulgarian Bon-Bon"

"Silence" Professor McGonagall shouts over all the hushed conversations. "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons"

"Try saying that five times faster" Fred whispers to George.

"Babbling, bumbling band of baboons"

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl there's a secret swan that slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight," Professor McGonagall says.

"Something's about to burst out of Eloise Midgen but I don't think it's a swan," Ron mumbles, earning himself glares from the girls across the room from him.

"I think Ron wants to help you demonstrate, Professor," Maggie says innocently, glaring at Ron.

"I think you might be right, Miss Crouch-McKinnon," McGonagall nods. "Mr Weasley, will you join me?"

All eyes move to the Weasley boy who slouches even lower in his seat, as Maggie holds her hand over her mouth to keep her smile hidden, watching Harry grab the scruff of Ron's collar, pushing him forward.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist," Professor McGonagall says.

"Where?" Ron asks.

"My waist," Professor McGonagall says and Harry wolf whistles loudly. "Mr Filch, music please"

Almost instantly, laughter tears through the room. Maggie and Hermione were clutching onto each other as Fred and George swayed and hummed to the music.

"Oi!" Harry whispers to the twins who lean down to speak to the boy. "You're never going to let him forget this, are you?"

"Never,"

"Never,"

"Everyone up!" Professor McGonagall calls.

A hand appears in Maggie's face and she looks up into sparkling brown eyes that are paired with a wide cheeky grin.

"May I have this dance?" Fred asks, a twinkle in his eye. Maggie couldn't help but roll her eyes playfully in response, but she couldn't hide the smile that tugged at her lips as she places her hand in his.

Maggie quickly discovered Fred was a decent dancer, not perfect but he had only stepped on her foot twice. Her eyes move to Angelina Johnson whose face is scrunched in pain as George apologises for what was at least the tenth time.

"Switch partners!"

Fred spins Maggie away from him and the witch finds herself in the arms of Lee Jordan who grins at her.

"I have a question for you," Lee asks and Maggie nods.

"Fire away,"

"Diggory," Lee murmurs. "He's single right?"

"Yep,"

"Gay?"

"Something you'll need to ask for yourself," Maggie replies, allowing Lee to dip her before pulling her close.

"You and Fred are getting close," The boy comments.

"You are a secret little gossip, aren't you?"

"Well, we don't usually hang out with girls," Lee says as he twirls her. "I need some feminine energy"

"Well, you can't get rid of me," Maggie grins at him.

"Good," Lee replies. "You make him happy, you know?"

"Really?"

"His face when he's with you, it lights up," Lee nods. "Do me one favour?"

"What is it?"

"Don't accept any date offers for the Yule Ball," Lee says as they sway to the music. "He'll ask you, but he'll need time to plan"

"Plan?"

"It's Fred, he won't do minimalistic," Lee replies. "You figured out the egg yet?"

"I know the sound," Maggie frowns. "The screeching but I just can't place it"

"You'll figure it out," Lee grins at her. "I have faith in you"

"People have been saying that a lot lately," Maggie frowns.

"So maybe you have to start believing in yourself because we all do,"