14

Maggie sighs as she flips through the pages of Slinkhard's book on Defensive Magical Theory

Maggie sighs as she flips through the pages of Slinkhard's book on Defensive Magical Theory. The contents of the book were clearly designed for beginners of the subject rather than N.E.W.T level students.

"She can't be serious," Maggie shakes her head. "This book is more useful to us as kindling for a fire"

"You've read the book?"

"When I was a child," Maggie says. "It's a waste of time reading it"

"Well that's music to my ears," Fred grins. "A course where books have become useless"

"Proper books are useful," Maggie corrects him. "Not this beginner's guide"

"We can have a cigarette after this lesson," Fred says. "Free period remember?"

"I have a feeling we're going to need it,"

The classroom falls silent when the clicking of heels fills the classroom. All eyes turn to face the pink clad woman who flicks her wand, causing the chalk to begin writing on the board.

Nastily
Exhausting
Wizarding
Tests

"Good morning class," Umbridge says, staring out at the students. "I said good morning class"

"Good morning," The students mumble back.

"As you all know, this year is the year of your N.E.W.Ts," The woman says. "Educational specialists in the Ministry have provided me with an advanced, theory-based curriculum which is sure to serve you well for your exams"

"What about the practical portion?" Lee asks.

"Hands are to be raised in my class,"

Umbridge watches as almost all of the students in the room raise their hands, all of their face unimpressed by what she was saying.

"Yes, Mr-"

"Lee Jordan," Lee says. "So what you're saying is we won't be learning to use magic?"

"You'll be learning how to do it through theory, Mr Jordan,"

"So if this is advanced theory," Maggie lifts the book for emphasis. "Why do all of the lower years have the same book as their required textbook for the year? Surely this can't be helpful for N.E.W.Ts"

"Miss Crouch" Umbridge forces a smile on her face. "This curriculum has been scrutinised and planned by the top educational team in the Ministry"

"But the Department of Education must work with the staff to create a curriculum, not create one for their own agenda," Maggie says.

"Did you say agenda, Miss Crouch?"

"It's McKinnon," Maggie says. "Maggie McKinnon"

"That's not what it says on my register for the class," Umbridge replies.