31

Maggie had become a shell of herself since her grandfather's death

Maggie had become a shell of herself since her grandfather's death. The funeral had been small, Fred and George standing steadfastly at her side as they listened to his colleagues praise his accomplishments during his time at the Ministry.

The cause of death had been quickly deduced as a killing curse but the Ministry couldn't further their investigation until they questioned Maggie which was scheduled to happen in the summer.

The witch had barely spoke to anyone, spending her days holed up in Fred's dorm practising her spellwork. She didn't attend any of her classes, avoided the feasts and burned all condolence letters that were sent to her.

The final task had come quickly which is how Maggie found herself donned in black leggings, a Gryffindor jersey and running trainers that Hermione had lent her, staring up at the Quidditch Pitch's new appearance.

The Quidditch Pitch, transformed into a maze for the final task of the Triwizard Tournament, loomed over Maggie. The high hedges twisted and turned, creating an intricate labyrinth that promised both challenge and danger. The atmosphere was tense, and the cheers and murmurs of the spectators added to the sense of urgency as the band's music rang through the air.

Maggie's mind, however, seems detached from the spectacle before her. Her eyes, once lively and filled with determination, now held a dullness that reflected the grief she carried.

Maggie glances at Harry who is holding her hand, their grips tight. A redheaded woman comes bustling towards them, followed by the Weasley children and an older redheaded man.

"Harry dear, how are you feeling?"

"I'm okay Mrs Weasley,"

"How many times do I have to tell you?" The woman sighs fondly. "It's Molly. Oh, and this is?"

"Mum this is Maggie," Fred says. "Maggie this is my mum"

"Oh, it's lovely to meet you, my dear," The woman pulls Maggie into a hug which she relaxes into. "Arthur and Fred have told me all about you"

"Talking about me?" Maggie smiles at Fred who beams brightly at her joke, something she hadn't made in a while.

"Maggie!"

"Arthur!" Maggie smiles widely, embracing the man tightly. "How have you been? How's work?"

"Busy, busy, busy," Arthur shakes his head. "I'm sorry for your loss"

"Thank you," Maggie nods before whispering conspiratorially. "You don't need to pretend you liked him"

"Oh Maggie dear," Mrs Weasley fusses over her, toying with her hair which warms Maggie's heart. "I'm sure Fred has told you but you are more than welcome to stay with us for the summer"

"I don't want to impose,"

"Nonsense!" Mrs Weasley shakes her head. "The house needs some more girls in it"

"If you're sure, but you must let me pay board," Maggie says. "That is my only condition"

"Earlier today," Professor Dumbledore's voice prevents Mrs Weasley from arguing with Maggie. "Professor Moody placed the tri-wizards cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Miss McKinnon-"

The sound of enthusiastic cheers echoes through the air as the students wildly applaud and wave colourful banners. Amidst the chaos, Maggie catches sight of Draco who gives her a firm thumbs-up gesture. A genuine smile spreads across her face as she acknowledges the boy's encouraging gesture.

"And Mr Potter tied for the first position they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr Krum-"

The atmosphere in the stadium is electric as the Bulgarian students unleash their excitement. Their whoops and hollers echo throughout the space, while their energetic foot-stomping on the stands creates a thunderous roar. The noise level rises to a crescendo, as the students pour their energy into cheering on their champion with all their might.

"The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands"

"You've got this," Fred whispers, leaning down so he can press his forehead against Maggie's. "I'll be waiting right here for you to come out. The winner"

"Thank you," Maggie whispers with a smile. "For everything"

"Miss McKinnon, places!"

Maggie and Harry stand a few feet apart, their eyes fixed on the looming maze before them. The atmosphere is tense as they wait for their signal to go. All of a sudden, the air is filled with a sudden, jarring blast of a cannon. The hedges that surround the maze begin to part, revealing a dark and twisted entrance.

Maggie steadies her nerves as she prepares to venture into the maze. With a deep inhale, she takes her first step and turns around to witness the hedges closing in behind her, sealing her fate. The prickly greenery looms ominously around her, creating a feeling of claustrophobia and isolation.

"No going back now,"