8

Maggie's eyes open to see Fred sleeping next to her and George sprawled out at the end of the bed

Maggie's eyes open to see Fred sleeping next to her and George sprawled out at the end of the bed. Both of the twins are snoring loudly causing Maggie to shake her head fondly as she pushes herself up.

The witch slips out of her bed, being extremely cautious to not disturb the twins before grabbing one of Fred's jumpers that had been draped over the desk chair. She shrugs it on before slipping out of the door, pulling it closed behind her.

Maggie walks down the stairs to find the dining room door closed and hears hushed voices behind the door. Her brow furrows as she leans closer to hear what they're saying after hearing her name from Sirius.

"How on earth do we tell a seventeen-year-old that she's part goddess?" Remus throws the question out to the other occupants of the room. "Or that her grandmother is the goddess of magic?"

"You just have," Moody says.

Maggie's eyes widen as the door swings open, revealing her standing in the doorway. Her eyes flick between the occupants of the room, trying to read their faces. Remus looked worried, Sirius' brow was furrowed and Molly was aggressively chopping a carrot by hand.

"You guys are joking right?" Maggie asks, closing the door behind her once she had entered the room.

The room falls into a brief silence as Maggie's question hangs in the air. Remus exchanges a glance with Sirius, both of them not sure what to say to their goddaughter. Molly stops chopping the carrot, her gaze shifting from the vegetable to Maggie. Moody grunts, his magical eye swivelling in Maggie's direction.

"No joke, McKinnon," Moody grumbles.

Maggie's eyes dart around the room, searching for any sign of amusement or deception, but the stern expressions she finds tell a different story.

"Alright, let's say for a moment that I've not been slipped a happy drug," Maggie says, scepticism colouring her tone. "Goddess of magic? Really?"

Remus steps forward, his expression gentle. "It's not a joke, Maggie. Dumbledore explained that your grandmother was Circe, a figure from Greek Mythology. She passed on her magical lineage to you."

Maggie blinks, her mouth opening and closing as she tries to form a response. "Circe? The goddess from myths? That's... absurd."

"It's true," Sirius says.

"How do you even know this? How can anyone know this?"

"Your grandmother told Dumbledore everything when you were born," Remus says.

"No, that's ridiculous," Maggie shakes her head. "Gods and Goddesses don't exist. That's why they're myths. Honestly, couldn't Dumbledore have come up with something better?"

Sirius nods in agreement. "Think about the things you've seen and done. Does it really seem that far-fetched in the context of the wizarding world?"

Maggie crosses her arms, still looking sceptical. "Magic is one thing, but goddesses and myths? You're pulling my fucking leg"