Chapter 19

*Alexi*

After breakfast my dad made me and Cal take a shower, for obvious reasons, but taking a shower mens getting my hair wet, and getting my hair wet means having to dry and brush my hair. So for the last 10 minutes I've been sitting on the couch with my dad blow drying my hair. I'm wearing my purple Key West, Florida shirt with sweatpants, while Cal is rocking my mom's gray tee and sweats because those are the only clothes in the whole house that would fit him. 

"How much longer is this gonna take?" I ask my dad. 

"I don't know kiddo, you've got a lot of hair, maybe another 10 minute?" my dad replied. I sigh and return to playing with Cal's hair, Cal who is sitting on the carpet in front of me. After another 15 minutes, not 10, my hair has been blow dried, brushed, and braided, the braid falling to my mid thigh. 

Just then I remembered that I have school tomorrow.  What are people going to think of my hair? I wondered. I think Cal can tell im worried because he looks up at me and asks,

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just thinking about school tomorrow," I said. 

"Oh shit, I forgot about that," Cal said. just then, Elsie, who was playing on the floor next to Cal, hits Cal with a doll.

"Bad Cal, you said a no-no word," she says hitting Cal again. I gasp like I'm offended. 

"Cal, how dare you say and no-no word," I say with my hand to my chest. El giggles and says,

"Yeah, Cal, how dare you."

"How dare I? More like how dare you, making up a lie about me saying a no-no word," Cal retorted. 

"It's not a lie! you said shit!" El replies. Cal grins maniacally.

"Well, well, well, look who just said a no-no word," Cal says, crossing his arms in victory.  Elsie pouts and then says something I was not expecting. 

"Well- just... fuck you, Cal." 

Everyone is in shock. My dad stares at her from the other side of the living room, my mom looks over from the dining table and my papa from next to my dad. 

We all just stare at her in shock until I burst out in a fit of laughter. 

"Ali, this is not funny," Cal pouts. 

"It....really....is though-" I say though bursts of laughter. Cal looks to Elsie, to me, then to Elsie again if anger in his eyes. My mom notices this and says,

"El, you better get running." El looks to my mom then back to Cal.

Then she starts running and Cal chases after her. 

"Run, Elsie, Run," I shout. She's giggling as Cal chases her around the house. 

"take it outside," My papa tells them. Elsie changes course and heads out the back door with Cal at her trail. I follow after them, wanting to see how this all plays out. they run in circles around the back yard and El shouts,

"Ali, help me!" 

"Sorry, but I can't, you brought this on yourself," I say, shrugging my shoulders. After I said that, El changed directions and ran straight over to me to hide behind. 

"Hehe, what 'cha gonna do now?" Elsie said to Cal. Cal stood there, contemplating his choices. 

"Hmm, seems you've left me no choice," he says, and I'm about to ask what he means when he charges at me and Elsie. Elsie runs out from behind me, away fro Cal, but he just continues in my direction. Before I know it, he has me in his arms, his head resting in the crook of my neck. 

"Mine," he whispers and lays a sweet kiss on my neck. I smile and pull his face to mine to kiss his soft lips. 

"Oi, quit making out in my backyard," my papa says from behind me. I pull away from Cal just as my phone rings from my pocket. I reach down to pull out my phone to see whos calling. It's Cassie. I answer it and put the phone to my face. 

"Bro, you wanna hang out? I'm, like, superrrr bored," She says from the phone.

"Sorry, not today, I'm will Cal right now," I say. 

"Oh, ok, I see how it is. You rather hang out with your boyfriend than your best friend. Yeah, sure, that's totally, fine, bro, not mad at all," she says sarcastically. 

"Sorry, Cass, I promise I'll hang out tomorrow," I say and she pauses before responding. 

"...fine. bye," she says, then she hangs up before I can reply. 

For the rest of the day Cal and I hang out in my room, and I've never been happier.