Chapter 22

On the entire ride back from a capella with my dad, all I can think about is what Alice said. 

Vaitkus the victorious.

Is that really my dad? I wondered. My sweet, kind dad killed millions of people? would he really do something like that? And even if he did do that, why? As we pull into the driveway, I decide to confront him. 

"Hey, dad, can I ask you something?"

"Sure kiddo, what's up?"  he responds. 

"Umm... so I was talking with my friend... and she said- when I told her about-... dad... are you... Vaitkus the victorious?" I mumbled. His already pale face pales even more, if that's even possible. after a long stretch of silence, he asks,

"Where... did you hear that?" he asks, so quiet I can barely hear it. 

"From Alice, she's a vampire in my a capella group," I say. Another stretch of silence. 

"That...was a long time ago...I'm...different now," he says quietly before turning to me with tears in his eyes, "Right?" he asks softly through flowing tears. Seeing my dad crying like that takes me aback. my dad rarely cries, he's always cheerful and caring. The only time I've seen him cry, was when he was worried I hated him for being a vampire; and I think now, he's worried again, about what I think of him. 

"Oh, dad," I say softly before pulling him into a hug. he silently cries into my shoulder as I reassure him that he has in fact changed, because it's true. He really has changed. I don't know why, whether it's because he met my papa and mom or if its something else entirely, but he has changed. He's kind and always knows what to say to someone when their sad. He's the nicest guy I know, and I make sure to tell him that. 

After a long hug, he pulls back and wipes his tears.

"You know, your the best son I could ever ask for," He says giving me a small smile. 

"Yeah, I am pretty great," I say sarcastically flipping my hair. We both start laughing before finally heading inside the house. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's saturday evening and Cal is coming to pick me up. Tonight I'm meeting his dads for the first time and he's introducing me as his mate to his pack. Although I am definitely nervous, I'm also a little excited. 

Around 6:00, Cal arrives at my house. The drive starts on the main roads but then quickly shifts over to a long dirt road through the forest. after ten minutes in the middle of nowhere, we stop in front of the biggest house I have ever seen, if you can even call it that. it looks more like a hotel than a house. A three story log mansion that looks like it should be some expensive resort hotel on a ski mountain. 

"Here we are," Cal says as we exit the car, "this is the pack house."

"It's huge," I say as I stare at the mega mansion in front of me. 

"Yeah, well, everyone in our pack lives here, and there's about 200 people in my pack so this place has to be huge to fit everyone," he explained and he grabbed my hand to lead me to the entrance.

When we walk inside were met with a large living room. To the left there is a large tv with couches and chairs making a ring around it, a coffee table in the center. To the right there's a lounge area that circles a fireplace. the ceilings are high and a crystal chandelier hangs from the center. Directly in front of me is a set of dual staircases leading up to the second floor. 

Werewolves, some in human form and some in wolf form, look up from what there doing to look at us as we walk in the room. Cal continues to lead me through the room. he greets a few people as we walk though until we make it to the large staircase. I follow him to the second floor, where there's a labyrinth of rooms. we walk down several halls before reaching another staircase leading to the third floor. 

"The third floor is dedicated to the alpha and his family," Cal explains as we get to the top of the steps. 

Because the entire floor is dedicated to only one family, everything is more spread out. The rooms are bigger, the hallways wider, the ceilings taller. 

We walk through a long hallway before reaching a living area similar to the one on the first floor just scaled down a bit. Though the living room we reach a dining area that has already been set, and adjacent to that is a kitchen where a man is putting something in the oven. the man has a mop of brown curls and tan skin. He's taller than me but shorter than Cal, standing at about 5' 10". 

"Hey Papa," Cal says. When the man turns I notice he has the same mahogany eyes as Cal. Cal's papa, who I was told is named Mark, greets me

"Omg, well aren't you just adorable, you must be Alexi, this one talks about you non stop," he says, pointing to Cal before coming over to me and pulling me into a hug. He pulls back and say, "I'm Mark, by the way, and, wow, I just love your hair," he says, looking me up and down. "and those eyes, stunning." 

"Oh, thanks," I says shyly and he smiles.

"Cal, why don't you go and get your dad, he should be in his office," Mark asked his son.