Chapter 27

*Cal*

Once we're out of the pack house I lead Ali further into the woods so we can shift in peace. I know that if we shift near the pack house everyone will be all over Ali because the only white wolf ever mentioned in history is Lupa herself. White wolves don't exist; there's gray wolves, black wolves, brown and even red, but not white. 

When we're in the clear Ali and I strip down and leave our clothes in a pile at the base of a tree. When Ali looks to me he blushes slightly but still smiles, and I return the gesture. 

"Ali," I say walking over to him,"move your hair back, I want to see you." I pull Ali's hair behind him so I can gaze at my mate's body. He blushes further when I pull our naked bodies together. I plant a soft kiss on his full lips before asking,

"Are you ready?" he nods and we pull back from each other to shift. he must have been practicing shifting because he does it with ease, taking only a few seconds until a glowing white wolf stands in front of me. "Wow," I mumbled. He tilts his head to the side, wondering why I haven't shifted yet. 

Once I've shifted I open a mind link with Ali so we can talk. 

Your wolf is beautiful, I tell him. he looks startled by my voice in his head. 

What was that? He asks.

It's called a mind link. Because I marked you, and you are now officially a part of the pack, you can create mind links with anyone to communicate, and vise versa, I explained. 

Oh, cool, so we gonna go or what?  he asks. I do a wolves version of a smile before taking off into the woods, with my mate by my side. I lead Ali through the woods, getting him use to the pack's territory. After awhile we get at drink from the river before settling under a tree to rest. We both drift asleep, cuddled together, to the sounds of nature. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up to the smell of someone familiar, a human. When I open my eyes I see Cassie standing in front of Ali and me, with a camera in her hand. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Cassie*

I'm sitting on my bed, scrolling through Tik Tok on saturday afternoon, when I remember that I have homework to do for my botany class. Botany is the only class that I actually like, and care about. 

Because I like it, somehow I'm actually good at it. Usually I get all my homework done on saturdays, but I guess I forgot to do it yesterday, and I almost forgot it today. I roll off my bed to get to my desk where my homework folder sits. I open it up to search for my homework. When I find it I'm expecting the usual worksheet that takes me a couple minutes to fill out, but today its different. 

Apparently I need to photography three different types of mushrooms and then write a page or two about how there different from each other. I don't exactly have three types of mushrooms in my room which means I actually have to leave my house, ugh. 

I slip on my boots and grab my camera, yes I have an actual physical camera(It's a hobby). I run out the door and make my way over to the trail head near my house. The sign at the start of the trail says to stay on the path because of dangerous wildlife in the area. Fuck the sign, I think to myself as I do the exact opposite of what the sign says. I've been on that trail before and there aren't any mushrooms near it. If I want to ace this assignment, I need to find some sick mushrooms. 

I've been walking around the woods for about an hour now and only have found two types of mushrooms. I've been trying to walk as quietly as possible because I don't want to disturb the wildlife. I figured if I'm out here with my camera I should try to get some other pictures of animals, but I can't do that if I scare them all away. 

Another hour passes and I can't find any other type of mushroom, I just keep seeing the same two types. I already tried to look up on my phone what types of mushrooms grow in this area and where they can be found but there's no service out here. I try to think of some useful information I learned in class but I can't think of anything so I just keep walking. 

California gets really hot, so as soon as I hear the sound of running water I make my way over to it. When I emerge from the bush I see a flowing river. I walk over to it and splash the water on my face, instantly feeling relief from the heat. Just then I notice exactly what I'm looking for, my third type of mushroom. 

I get a couple different shots of it, all from different angles. When I'm done I stand up to leave but stop when I notice something in the distance. 

Two huge wolves cuddled up under a tree. As quietly as I can, I creep closer. Ones black and ones white, but there both way larger than normal wolves. My first thought is aww, there so adorable, but then I remembered that there's only gray wolves in california, and there definitely not that that big. 

I go to take a picture with my camera when the black one wakes up and looks at me with red piercing eyes.