Chapter 23

*Cal*

When I come back with my dad if find Alexi and my papa in the kitchen chatting about something. 

I walk into the kitchen and my dad follows. My dad walks up behind my papa and wraps his arms around his waist. 

"Love, could you not? I'm trying to cook here," my papa says as he stops chopping. My dad grumbles something before finally letting my papa go so he can resume his chopping. 

"So, you must be Alexi," my dad says, turning to face Ali. 

"Yes," Ali replys. 

"Well, I'm Xavier, the alpha of this pack," my dad explains.

"Yes, sir, I know," Ali replied. 

When dinner was ready we all sat down to eat. When we all had a plate of food my papa started the conversation. 

"So, tell me about your family," my papa asked Ali. 

"Well, there's my little sister, Elsie, she's five and she's a human. Then there's my mom, Sydney, she's also a human, and my papa, Eduardo, he's a witch. Finally my dad, Victor, and he's a vampire," Alexi explained. When he finished my dads looked shocked. 

"You said your dad's a vampire?" my dad asks. 

"Yes, sir," Ali replied. 

"And his name is Victor?" my papa asks.

"Yes," Alexi states. 

"What's his last name?" my dad asks. At this point Ali has a look on his face that says he know where this is going. He takes a breath before responding. 

"Vaitkus," Alexi says bluntly. My dads faces pale and I realize why. 

Alexi's dad is Vaitkus the Victorious. 

A vampire who killed thousands of werewolves in the 19th century for no reason; and he not only killed werewolves, but witches and humans too. 

Alexi looks like he's about to go on the defensive, but before he can begin my dad starts to talk. 

"You know, most people think he did all his killing for no reason, but that's actually not true. That's just a story they made up to hide the truth. The truth being something only very few people know. 

"The truth is this: all the killing was not an act of hate, but an act of love. Victor, your father," he gestures to Ali,"was a well known vampire at the time. One day he came across a young werewolf named Sasha. They fell in love and, in time, it was revealed to him that Victor was Sasha's mate. Knowing this only made there love stronger. They were happy, but they couldn't let anyone know about there relationship in fear that they would be forced apart. 

"At the time, vampires and werewolves were at war with one another, and even now, werewolves and vampires aren't on great terms. Because of this there love for each other had to be a secret. But eventually Sasha's pack found out and killed her for her relations with a vampire. They tried to kill Victor as well but failed. instead, when Victor found out about the death of his mate, he went on a rampage, killing the entire pack. At the time it was the largest pack in the county, with over a ton of werewolves. 

"But he didn't stop there. Eventually he moved on to anyone who was associated with the people who took his mate. Other packs, witches, hunters. The killing lasted almost the entire century until one day he disappeared. 

"Everyone assumed he was finally killed and that was that, but I'm guessing that's not the story." when he finishes, there's a long stretch of silence. At some point during the story Alexi clasped his hand in mine, so I give his hand a gentle squeeze.

"How do you know that story?" he asks with a blank expression on his face. 

"There was only one person who Victor didn't kill that new the story. My grandfather many generations back, Benjamin, the founder of this pack, and Sasha's little brother. Victor new too well how much Benjamin meant to Sasha. he couldn't bring himself to kill him, even in his rage."

Another stretch of silence. 

"I- I... don't know what to say," Ali mumbled. Silence again before Ali speaks up, "I know that you probably think my dad is a bloodthirsty killer but... he's not... at least not anymore. He's really kind, and he tries to make people happy. He doesnt hurt anyone or anything. He works at a bookstore and everyone loves him. he's good guy he just... he's worried what people think of him when they know what he is...when they find out what he's done. But that's all in the past, he's different now," He explains with passion. I know how much Alexi cares about his family and you can hear it in his words. 

"Dad, Papa, It's true, he really has changed, I've met him. He's so nice to me and everyone he interacts with. He ever gets mad at anyone, even when I almost burned down his house," I explain. my dad considers this for a moment before saying,

"So let me get this straight, you were in your mates very nice house...and you almost burned it down?" he says in his are-you-kidding-me voice. 

"um, yeah," I say and Ali looks at me to go on with his arms crossed. "I was trying to bake cookies, and I have no idea how it happened, but, they kinda, sorta, caught on fire." Ali scoffs. 

"Yeah, I bet you have no clue how it happened," He says sarcastically, "you put paper in the oven." 

"Cal, really? paper?" my papa says with a disappointed look. 

"That's what the recipe said to do!" I say defensively. 

"Cal, it said parchment paper, not paper from the printer," Alexi said bluntly. 

"Cal, dear, I thought I taught you better than that?" Papa says with a disappointed tone. After the wonderful story about my failures as a chef, the mood of the dinner soon picks up and everyone seems happy again.