Chapter 09

Arnav

"...My love for Khushi." His words echoed in my ears as I stared at him with shock. His love? Seriously?

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I asked as I took a step forward. "First you were using Di for money, then you have the audacity to claim your love for Khushi when you all but cheated on your wife?"

"Make it sound however you like it. But the truth remains that I never loved Anjali." Shyam said, shrugging. An hour ago, you were running behind Di, calling her Rani Saheba...

I shook my head as I huffed out a laugh before saying, "You middle-class people just don't change, do you?" I looked into his eyes. "Whenever you smell money, you always run there, waggling your tail like the bloody dog you are."

"I don't care. Think whatever you..." Shyam stated.

"She's pregnant, Damad Ji. What are you saying? How can you not care?" Mama interrupted from my left as he looked at everyone in the room for some kind of encouragement or motivation before continuing, "That child is also yours."

"How can you not care about our princess? You... You even bought her a crib. You..." Di said while crying as he stood.

"I did whatever was necessary for me to continue to live here." Shyam cut in before turning to face her. "I did exactly what you wanted to see. What everyone in this house wanted to see, so don't blame me for your own foolishness."

I pressed my tongue on my cheek wall as I tried to calm myself and turned to look at Nani. She was looking at Shyam with a straight face. She was right about Khushi. She was right that Khushi would never stand so low... I should've thought before insulting her and forcing her. I looked at Nani again just before she did.

"Call the police, Akash Bitwa." She said this while keeping eye contact with me, then turned to look at Akash and gave a firm nod.

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye! But Sasuma, he's the Damad. How can you do that to him? What about the family's reputation?" Mami asked as Akash took a few steps away from the living room to call the police.

"Would you have thought about your reputation if this had concerned Akash?" Nani asked before glaring at her while the corners of her lips and eyes twitched. Her reaction turned into a realization before she added, brows high. "But unfortunately, you already ruined the family's reputation at Akash's wedding when you insulted the Gupta family without even knowing the truth. Also, leaving the fact that it was actually our family that was at fault." She shot a look in my direction as she finished, while Mami mumbled under her breath.

"The police will be here shortly." Akash announced as he returned while stuffing his phone in his pocket.

No one spoke for the rest of the time as we waited for the police. Di just sat and stared at Shyam while he continued to ignore her existence. Bastard.

How did we get here? We were so happy before. We were together. But now none of us are. We are living in the same house, but we are still not together. At least not anymore.

Akash stood near the entrance hallway, leaning against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest. Mami angrily sat next to Di and gritted her teeth with a look of disgust on her face. And Nani patted Laxmi's head while talking to Mama, which was completely inaudible for us. Why is she so calm about everything? How is she calm?... I really need to talk to her. I..