Chapter 29

Khushi

I stood, leaning against the main door, and stared ahead while I unconsciously scratched the wound on my ring finger as a cold breeze pushed its way through my hair and dupatta.

I wish I could wake up from this nightmare. I wish all this was nothing but a dream, and I was still in Lucknow in Babu Ji's house, and I had never met Shyam Ji, Arnav Ji, or... anyone. And we all would have stayed happy. Jiji and I would have enrolled in a college. Babu Ji would have been perfectly fine. Amma and Bua Ji would have been at peace... Hai, Devi Maiya, where did we get wrong? What did we do that you had to punish us like that?... All I ever wanted was for my family to be happy and safe. But here we stand today... Angry, upset, insulted, heartbroken—and harassed. Yet they blame us. They think only we are wrong... And we are, as a matter of fact, but is it that big of a crime to hide the truth to save someone's happiness? I think it is, since we are getting back what we did. Since everyone of us is being punished for our crimes.

I sighed quietly through my mouth as I wrapped my hands around me and slowly rubbed my upper arm.

Devi Maiya will fix everything. She will forgive us. I know she will. Sh...

"Khushi Ji!" I looked over my shoulder by only twisting my upper body and found Nanhe Ji dashing downstairs with a big bag in hand, then he turned on his right to the hallway leading back.

"I'm here!" I called, raising my voice a little.

He swiftly turned and made a face when he saw me before walking up to the open door and placing the bag on the floor with a thud.

"Khushi Ji, I searched the whole house, you know. But I still couldn't find you! Where were you?" Nanhe Ji inquired as he placed both his fists on his hips while his eyebrows knitted in the center as he waited for my answer.

"Arre, I was here the whole time." I turned to him completely, then leaned my back on the door and crossed my arms over my chest. "But why were you looking for me?"

"Because I couldn't find you." He answered like it was obvious as his brows rose.

I pressed my lips at his answer and stared at him for a second before explaining, "Arre, Nanhe Ji, I meant why were you looking for me in the first place? Did you need something?"

His face turned into a look of realization as he dropped his hands from his hips and reached for his earlobe before saying, "Sorry, sorry, Khushi." I smiled in return and was about to wave him off with a hand when he suddenly dropped on his knees, my eyes widening before I almost jumped to take a step back but soon found that I had no room behind because I was already against the door.

"Nanhe Ji!" I half-screamed in shock.

He was doing something in his bag before he heard me, then dropped it loudly before jumping up on his feet and startlingly looking around the ground.

"What is it, Khushi Ji? What is it?" He continued to look around himself, then finally looked at me with wide eyes and a terrified look on his face.

"What were you doing?" I yelled loudly with wide eyes as I pointed at the place he was formerly kneeling.

"Arre, I was just reaching for my bag." He replied, copying my tone while panicking.

I stared at him with my mouth open for some time before I relaxed a bit, swallowed deeply, and rubbed my fingers on my forehead as I wet my lips.

"Oh, I thought—" I whispered quietly as I breathed a little heavily and slowly shook my head. What was I thinking?

"Was it a r-r-rat or... c-co-ckroach?" He cut in as he again looked down at the floor around him cautiously.