Chapter 27

Payal

I stumbled on my feet, and my ankle twisted as he pushed me away, and my hand hit the pillar and broke some of the glass bangles that I was wearing. I felt a stabbing pain on my left ankle as warmth slid down from my arm. But all I could think of was that I had to save her. I had to save her from him at any cost. And without thinking, I turned and ran back, limping, inside the house. Just stay strong, Khushi. I'm coming. I'll save you. I'll save you...

"Amma!" I shouted as I dashed down the hallway barefoot and stopped to check in her room, but it was empty apart from Babu Ji laying on the bed. I felt my body shake as I again ran down the hallway to the living room. "Bua Ji!"

"Amma..." I shouted again before I saw Manoj in the kitchen. I ran to him before asking with a shaking voice, "Whe-where is everyone?... Where's Amm.."

"Arre Nandkishore, Why are you shouting, Payaliya? Has Sanka Devi passed her Sanak to you today?"
Bua Ji said loudly from somewhere in the living room.

A sob escaped from me as I struggled to run out of the kitchen to the living room and found Bua Ji, Amma, and the whole Raizada family coming down from upstairs. But before all of them could finish descending, I limped up to Amma and looked at her in the eyes before I started pulling her with me.

"Arre, Payaliya, what happened? Why are you shaking?" Amma asked worriedly as she stopped me and looked down at my feet. "Are yo.."

"Amma... I... I...have to save her... We.. have to save her. I... We can't waste time... If...he ... Amma, let's go na. Please... Bua Ji, please come na..." I stammered as I begged while tears formed in my eyes, and my heartbeat quickened with fear. I have to... go. I... have to sav...

"Payaliya, you calm down first and sit for a second." Bua Ji said as she tried to calm me, while Dadi Ji also nodded and added, "Sit down, Bitiya. Then tell us what happe..." Why aren't you understanding?.. I.. can't calm down... She's in danger... I have to save her. What if he does somethi... No, no..

I didn't let myself complete that thought as I let go of Amma's hand and took a shaking breath before pointing at the back of the house with a trembling hand and loudly saying, "He's here. He..." They all looked at me with a confused reaction on their faces, but Bua Ji, Amma, and Dadi Ji's eyes widened as they shared a look and turned to me. "..Shyam Ji, he's here... He's.. not letting her go. Please, come with me. Please..." My whole body shook by the time I finished, and Bua Ji didn't waste another second before hurriedly running to the back with Amma, I, and Dadi Ji following right behind. We are coming, Khushi... We are coming... Devi Maiya, please let her be okay... Please, please, please...

Bua Ji shouted as soon as she stepped out of the door, and I saw Shyam Ji glancing at us while holding Khushi's hand close to his face. Then she also looked back, and her whole face crumpled while her shoulders slumped down as she saw us before turning back to him again.

"Let her go!" Bua Ji rushed down the stairs while he held Khushi. And by the time I reached her, Bua Ji was already pushing him away from her. "Leave her!" Amma and I held Khushi, whose whole body shuddered as she slowly breathed through her mouth, and stared ahead without blinking.

"Khushi Ji." He yelled as he stared at Khushi as Bua Ji pushed him. Then he pleadingly added, "Please don't separate us. I love her. You won't be able to keep me away. I'll always find my way ba..." Stop it. Stop it. Yo-you're hurting her. She.. she wo...