Chapter 25

Shyam

I have been running for more than 5 days now, since my escape from jail. It wasn't easy, but... I would do it again if it meant I could see her again. I could hear her laugh again. I would do it every time.

I walked through the crowded streets of Hazratganj and headed towards downtown to see my love, my Khushi Ji. And I made a mental note to thank Masi Ji. Because if it hadn't been for her, neither would I have overheard her talk on the phone, nor would I have never known of the haveli of Hazratganj. And I really hope Khushi Ji appreciates my gesture... But even if she doesn't, we have a whole life ahead of us to appreciate each other's efforts, care, and love.

I palmed my pants pocket for the hundredth time in these five days and smiled as I felt the small object there. This time, she won't be able to return it. She will be mine, and I'll be hers. Forever.. forever.. forever. And nothing can stop us from being together anymore. Nothing. Not Arnav, not Rani Saheba, not Bua Ji—even you, Khushi Ji, can't stop us from being together now.

I felt a smile spreading on my lips as I saw the Haveli looming proudly from a distance. I didn't know it was this big. Also, no matter how big the Haveli is, nothing can change my love for her. Just a few more minutes, then we'll be together, and we'll play our first Holi together as we were always meant to.

As I neared the big iron gate, I found it open. I tried looking through the sea of people to find the one that my eyes sought. But I couldn't find her. And I felt a little disappointed, but my heart was also beating very rapidly, so I smiled because only she can make me feel like this. And I knew she was near. Very near. It's just a few small minutes before I find her and make her mine forever.

I walked through the wide porch and took a fist full of gulaal from the nearest table and applied some of it to my face to hide my face from anyone who knew me, then saved the rest from Khushi Ji, since I should be the first one to apply the color.

I pushed my way through the crowd to look for her, but she was nowhere to be found. Where are you, Khushi Ji? Where are you? You're Shyam Ji is here.

I searched for her once again before I decided to check the back of the house. And there she was, running out of the house with someone following behind, and she looked over her shoulders with a tray of gulaal in hand and a big smile on her face. And how beautiful she looks in that white suit, with her open hair and dupatta flying behind her as she ran. Oh.. you'll never know how much I longed to see you, Khushi Ji! You never knew. But soon, I'm going to change that longing and yearn for an eternity full of love when I make you mine forever.

I stood there looking at her as she made her way to me, and I waited with a smile of pure joy on my face, a fist full of gulaal, and with my other hand stuffed inside my pocket, clutching the small object like I'd lose it if I let go... Then I realized she'd collide with me if I didn't move. And I felt myself smiling more widely at that, though, as I heard the sound of her laugh over the crowd noise. My heart and mind felt completely full and occupied with that sound as it drew closer and closer with each passing second.

I steadied her with a hand on her waist as she collided with my chest, and the tray fell to the ground with a loud sound. She stilled in my arm while I closed my eyes at her warmth. She'll be so shocked when she sees me.

She completely stepped back from my arm and looked up at me, and the color drained from her face completely as she stumbled a step on her foot. I reached for her before she could fall down and hurt herself. And before I knew it, I raised my other hand to her cheek and colored her red with my love.

She jerked out of whatever thought she was in and looked at my hand on her cheeks with wide eyes before she pushed it away with a hand.

I tilted my head at her and smiled as I looked into her beautiful brown eyes. Then I looked down at her trembling lips before I again looked up at her eyes and concernedly asked, "Khushi Ji, are you okay? Are you hurt?"

She just stared at me with a terrified look on her face, but soon her eyes hardened as she swallowed before saying, "Leave my hand."