Chapter 42

Arnav

I pressed twice on the bell outside and waited for Hariprakash or someone else to open the door.

"Chote?" Di's voice reached me from behind, but I didn't turn. Because she's the last person I want to see right now.

How did we reach here? How did we come to a point of life where I don't want to see my own sisters face?... I wish I knew everything sooner... Things would have been so much different if I hadn't listened to her. If Akash hadn't listened to her, then he and Payal would have been together now.

I internally sighed and again pressed hard on the bell as I saw Di nearby from the corner of my eyes.

Where is everyone? Can't...

The door opened wide, and Hariprakash stepped aside for me to walk in.

"Where were you? Didn't you hear the bell?" I shouted at him as I walked inside but stopped right in front of him as I breathed heavily, anger rising inside of me.

"Bhaiya, actually, I was..." He stammered his words with his head bowed down.

"Chote?" I felt her hands on my shoulders as soon as she called me.

I shrugged it off as gently as possible before I started inside.

"Chote, I know you're angry about something Khushi did. But, please..." Di spoke softly.

"She did nothing!" I yelled back as I stopped in my tracks and turned to face her, who also halted with a startled reaction on her face.

"Bhai!" Akash called me quietly and looked at Avni, then again at me.

My whole body started to shake with rage, but as I noticed Avni hiding behind NK, who held her hand and stared at me with pressed lips, so, I quietly spoke, "Hariprakash, take Avni to her room!"

As Hariprakash neared Avni, she looked up at NK, Akash, and lastly at me.

"Avni, go!" Di said without looking at her. Her voice sounded a little harsh. But Avni didn't move a thread.

"Avni, beta, why don't you go to your room and draw a picture of the family?" NK suggested as he looked down at her. And she finally nodded and went upstairs with Hariprakash, and by that time, the whole family had already gathered in the living room.

I inhaled through my nose before I said, "I'll freshen up and..."

"Chote, tell us, why are you so angry?" She pushed. "Did Khushi do something to make you angry? Did she..."

"For the last time," I looked down at the ground but didn't bow my head as I exhaled. "She... did nothing!"

"But she..." Di started.

Mami interrupted, saying, "Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye, Anjali Bitiya, are you talking about that Phati Saree?"

Di nodded her head at her.

"But why?" She added, with a horrified reaction on her face.

"AR signed a contract with a company, which happens to be Khushi's. And I also met with Payal today at the office." Di explained. "She also works there."

"Work?" Mami made a face of disgust. "Huh, I bet she was there to seduce my son. That Khunbhari Tang will n..."

"Maa..." Akash gave her a look. "Stop it!"

"Why are you behaving like this, Manorama?" Nani asked with a sigh.

"Because that girl is after my son. Even after all these years, she still hasn't..."