Two

Chapter 2
Bury My Love

Nagising ako ng maramdaman ko ang pagyugyog sa akin ni Ali. "Someone's been calling you." inaatok niyang sabi ng marinig ko ulit ang phone ko.

It was Miss Cuevas, Our Math teacher. Wait— what? Today's saturday. Why is she even calling me?

Pagkasagot ko narinig ko ang malakas niyang sigaw. So basically she wants me as Isla's replacement since she's nowhere to be found for the Math Olympiad competition from different schools.

Where is Isla right now?! Of course, yes! She was at the club last night. I'm pretty sure she's wasted as fuck. Ako nga na isang shot lang nainom ko parang sasabog na ang ulo ko.

"That damn Isla has really her own ways on making into your nerves. Screw her! Don't go." sabi sa akin ni Ali ng marinig niya ang usapan namin ni Miss Cuevas pagkatapos ko ibaba ang tawag.

"I doubt that. She would get away with it. She's the daughter of our School Dean." wala sa sariling sabi ko sakanya.

What's happening to Isla?

I don't think this is something that she can do or she would do! She's the most competitive person I've known.

"You're going or what?" kitang kita ko na nawalan na siya ng antok. This is what I've been dreaming about. This is what I wanted for so long. The Senior Math Olympiad Championship.

Nung nalaman kong pinili nila si Isla, nawalan ako ng gana. This is my chance to get even with her. I wanna crash her down so bad. Gusto kong ipakita sakanya at sa mga taong pumili sakanya na mas kaya ko!

Tumango ako sakanya ng makita kong dumiretso agad siya sa CR ng kwarto ko. She took her 5 minute shower while I was busy preparing my things. "Get ready in 5 while I start the car." nagmamadaling pagbihis niya at dumiretso agad ako sa CR para maligo.

I think this is the fastest thing I've done. We were able to enter the venue in just 20 minutes after the call of Miss Cuevas.

Suddenly anxiety came rushing down into my veins. All the doubts in every inside of my bones are tickling me while I'm hearing the sound of the clock as I'm solving the math problems in this stage.

Kitang kita ko ang mga ngisi ng mga kalaban ko at kabadong itsura ni Miss Cuevas sa may back stage na nakatingin sa akin. I saw the cameras on me triggering more my anxiety.

Everyone was quiet in the audience seats. What can I say? This is not an entertainment show. It's a Math Olympiad of the country. I tried breathing deeply, slowly and steady when I saw Aaliyah at the front seat holding lots of food while sleeping.

Damn, this girl had the guts to fall asleep at the front row seat that made me feel at ease and smile. Somehow her presence gave me comfort and it made me stay focused on game.

After the competition. I felt a lot of things in this empty mini stadium, sitting next to my best friend who's sleeping soundly while I'm looking at the cold and empty stage.

Tapos na. I can't believe it's done! I did it.

The Math Olympiad I've been trying to prepare for months. I finally got it. I smiled as I looked down at this cold and shiny gold that I was holding. Nanalo ako!

Napatigil ako sa pagngiti ng maramdaman ko ang paggalaw ni Ali. "Where's— every... body?" she asked with confusion when I showed her my medal.

"You... won?!!" hindi makapaniwalang tanong niya at bago ko pa siya nasagot napatili na siya sa saya. "Oh gosh! Kirsten, I am so proud of you." napatayo siya saka niya isinigaw iyon.