Chapter 3

The rest of the car ride was silent. Abby eventually broke the silence when she pulled up to my house to drop Haylee and me off. 

"Look, I apologize, Mikayla. I never meant to hurt you. I just need some time to think some things over. I won't be staying over today. I hate to leave although I need to sort some things out at home. I hope you two have fun, though. I was being immature, and again, I'm sorry." She locks eye contact with me in the rearview mirror. 

"Yeah, that's fine. I get it. I am also sorry." I smile and open the door, getting my bag and shutting the door in unison with Haylee. My truck is home now. Abby drives off and I walk inside with Haylee, both of us kicking off our white Crocs.

"Hey, girls!" Mom yells from the kitchen. 

"Hey, Mom," I say.

"Hey, Mrs. Shapiro!" Haylee walks into the kitchen to give her a hug. 

"Hey, Haylee. Where's Abby?" She asks while squeezing Haylee and giving her a kiss on the forehead before letting her go.

"Long story, short, she went home. She has some stuff to sort out at home." I tell her and Haylee nods. 

"Oh, okay." She looks at me, skeptically, but I just shrug and grab an apple and rinse it off in the sink. She puts on her high-pitched voice, "Have fun?" 

"Yes ma'am." Haylee smiles and looks at me. I nod to my mom and slide past her for the stairs. Haylee follows close behind. We end up in my room and on my bed watching TikTok and laughing at cringe lives and funny videos. 

"So, do you never wanna have sex?" Haylee stops laughing to ask this question.

I groan, "I want to have it when I am married so I can have a kid, yes. However, no. Not now. I thought you agreed on that." 

"No, no. I do." She says, putting her focus back on the TikTok re-playing on my phone. 

I turn my phone off and look back at her and ask, "Why'd you ask then?" 

"I'm just wondering what's going on in Abby's head. Trying to see different points of view on sex."

"It's normal," I say.

"Well, I know that, but... how does Abby see it? A magical thing in life? Like she needs it or something?" Haylee looks at me curiously. 

"Only Abby could tell you that, Haylee. We should get cleaned up and get some rest. We both have church early in the morning." I say, getting up.

Haylee stands up too and says, "Yeah... with Abby."