Chapter 36

Daniel's POV

My face turns red as I see Alex heading for Mikayla. I clench my fists and charge towards him, elbowing his back, and then he falls to his knees. Mikayla stumbles back away from Alex and winces in pain when she trips and falls onto her ass. However, instead of rushing over to her, I turned around and punched Thomas who was sneaking up on me. 

"Oh, Daniel," Lane chuckles and ticks his tongue. "Come on, boys. He's not worth fighting. Get up, Alex." Lane snaps and turns around. 

Alex glares at me as he walks off with Thomas. 

I turn around and help Mikayla up.

"Welcome to my world. A world full of worry and misery." I say, brushing the dirt off the hoodie she's wearing. It's her brothers. 

"Yeah... and I hate seeing you in this. I'll help you, I promise. Somehow." She sighs and pulls cash out of her pocket. 

"No, Mikayla. Please. Just don't." I beg. 

She doesn't listen and she shoves the money onto my chest. It falls to the ground when I refuse to take it. 

"Well, it'll either blow away in the wind, or you pick it up. You choose." She says, crossing her arms.

I sigh and stare at the money for a moment. 

"Mikayla-" 

"Pick up the damn money, Daniel." She says.

I sigh and pick up the one-hundred-dollar bill.

"How the hell are you getting all this money?" I ask, looking deep into her eyes with the bill in between my index and middle finger, holding it up almost in her face.

"Rich parents, Hun." She grins and puts her hand on my shoulder and I relax a little. 

"This shit is stupid, Daniel. It's so stupid." 

I swallow hard and nod. She pats her hand on my cheek before sighing and stepping back. A little sad part of me wished she'd touch me again.

"Pick me up tomorrow. I want to help you out some more." She says, smiling. 

"Oh? Or are you just trying to find time to hang out with me?" I smirk. 

"Chill out, rival." She teases and she winks before turning around.

"Oh wait!" I call. "What time?"

"Four would be great." She smiles.

"Okay. Will do." I smile back and we both go our separate ways. 

I get back to the hotel and plop on the bed, wincing at the pain in my leg and quickly flipping over on my back to stare at the ceiling. I groan into my pillow. 

I want beer, I think to myself and stand up, wincing, and grab my keys.

"I'm going to kill you, Lane Davis," I whisper to myself, opening the door, only to add, "With Mikayla."