Chapter 25

Mikayla's POV

"Stop," Joey says as I brag to him that softball is better than football. He had just got home and threw him on the couch, looking annoyed. 

"Oh come on! You know it's true!" I say, rolling on the floor in happiness. Literally. I don't know why I am still so happy. However, my mind flashes to Daniel and I stop rolling.

"I'm happy for you, sweetie." My mom whispers almost to herself.

Me and Joey snap our necks to look at Mom standing in the doorway of the living room. Her nose is red and raw, perfectly matching her sad, tired, bloodshot eyes.

I thought she had work.

"Aren't you supposed to be at work tonight...?" I ask, gulping shakily. 

"I just got home through the back two minutes ago. They let me go and said I need to rest before I accidentally kill someone." She looks down at her feet.

"Oh, well...thanks, Mom." I flash her a small smile and so does Joey.

"I'm sorry, sweethearts. I was going through a tough time and couldn't even get out of bed to see your last game," she sighs shakily and then continues, "Coach called me and told me to congratulate you on your amazing pitching. I'm proud of you, really. However, I am starting to accept the fact your father isn't coming home unless he is going to beg for money, so I am trying to force myself to let it go."

I nod, get up sheepishly, and pull her into a tight hug. I rub her back as I hear her choke back tears. 

"Dinner? Or are you going out tonight?" She asks, pulling out of the hug gently, dabbing her tears away with the crumbled-up tissue. 

I feel bad but I had made plans with Haylee and Abby tonight. A celebration. Also, it'll get my mind off of Chase. Daniel, too. "I'm going out. I might be home early enough to share a desert with you, though." I say. 

Mom nods and brushes my long brown hair out of my face. We used to look identical, however now, her hair has gray stripes through her hair and her face sags a little from lack of rest. 

I go upstairs to change into something a little more comfortable. Black leggings and a baggy hoodie I stole from Joey. It's his football one. He hates it when I do, but I don't care. All my other hoodies are my... dad's.

I slip on my boots and walk out the house, slipping past Joey throwing a ball on the wall and catching it over and over again.

He just flashes me a slight grin. I don't small back. I don't know why. I climb into my truck and crank it, turning on my phone. I call Haylee and Abby and we are soon all in a three-way call.

"Hey, Abbs, Hay?" I ask.

"Yeah?" They both ask in unison.

"Coffee shop on the corner or the steakhouse?" 

"Steakhouse." They both say in unison. Again. 

"Oh. Okay. See you girls there!" I say.

"Okay, love ya, bye." Abby hangs up.

"Bye, Kay. Love ya." Haylee hangs up.

What a quick talk. 

I then start blasting the music on the radio. All windows are down. 

I started to think about Daniel again. It hurts me the way I had to see him today. I mean, yeah, I hate the guy. However, one piece of me has accepted his apologies. He just doesn't understand how many pieces I am broken into. However, the way he so gratefully smiled at me and didn't even want to take my money and wouldn't have if I didn't force him, made a light inside of me light up. Dimly. I wanted to call the cops to try and help him, however, I now realize it would only hurt him. 

Betting. Betting on games. It's so unexpected but at the same time, I can't be surprised. He said he got dragged into it, I just don't understand why he couldn't leave. Why can't he get himself out of it? Is he in danger? 

I chuckle at that stupid question. Of course, he's in danger. These betting deals can get so out of hand in just a snap of a finger. 

I don't think too much about it until my heart drops at a realization. 

I know about this illegal shit. So, if anything goes down and cops find out I knew and didn't rat them out, I could be in trouble. 

I hate the thought of it, but I know, deep down, I am going to have to help Daniel get out of this mess.