Chapter 39

Mikayla's POV

I woke up at twelve, my head pounding in revenge. I got a shower and got ready, putting on mascara and lipgloss and curling my straight hair. I ended up putting on another one of Joey's hoodies and my skin-tight jeans. 

Now, I lay in bed, my hands clutched onto my hair, begging for the throbbing to stop. I remember everything from last night, though. It's like it's glued to my memory even though I was wasted. 

My heart is sad and trying to recover from drowning in alcohol. When I looked in the mirror, my eyes were horribly bloodshot and my cheeks were severely pink. 

I groan when I hear my door open. 

"You okay?" Joey asks slowly.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I mumble, wanting him to leave. 

He plops down on my bed beside me. 

"You know you were passed out in the bathroom last night, right?" He chuckles but it fades when I am completely silent. 

My heart throbs and my head pounds. 

"Mikayla, you can't keep doing this anymore. You'll ruin yourself." He whispers. 

I'm still silent. My mind won't process what he's telling me. I just close my eyes and let out a long, heavy breath. 

Finally, I say, "No," I turn and look at him, wincing at the hurt in his eyes, "I'll drink until my heart stops hurting." I sit up, clutching my stomach. 

"Mikayla, it's just going to make it worse." He says, grabbing my wrist. 

"Says the one who keeps weed in his drawer." I scoff, pulling my wrist out of his grasp. 

He chuckles and it makes me stop in my tracks. "Why are you laughing?"

"You just don't get it, do you? I don't give a shit about my health, Mick. Only you and Mom matter to me." He gulps and shoves past me. 

I sigh and slip on my boots, grabbing my phone and heading downstairs to meet my new friend, Daniel.

I giggle at the thought of us being friends. It just seems so wrong, but It feels so right. Being around him lights me up. 

I turn the corner and see Mom. 

"Hey, baby. Have you been crying?" She asks, pointing to my eyes.

I gulp. "No, mom. Just tired," I smile and she smiles back. 

"Going out?" She asks, stirring something in a pot. 

"Um. Yeah." I say, walking towards the door.

She sighs sadly. "Okay, but if you get a boyfriend, I want to meet him this time. Don't get your virginity taken by a dumb teenager either, please."

I freeze, hand on the door handle. "Yeah. Okay, Mom, but I won't be getting a boyfriend anytime soon." I sigh and open the door, closing it gently. 

The thought of Thanksgiving being tomorrow scares me. I shove my cold hands into the hoodie pockets and see Daniel pull up. I smile softly and flip him off when he honks the horn as I am walking in front of the truck.