Chapter 14 - Dragon Carrier Izumo

One month after the previous visit, Cielia was once again in Runepolis. This time, Liage attended to her again, but Cielia felt that his demeanor had changed since the last visit.

"Let me start with the conclusion," Liage said without any greetings. "The Holy Mirishial Empire will not enter into a ceasefire agreement with your country."

Cielia couldn't hide her surprise.

"Oh, are you planning to fight us tooth and nail?"

"Among the five conditions you presented, there was something we couldn't accept."

"Which ones, exactly, were unacceptable?"

"There is no obligation or need to answer. You were the one who said that none of them were negotiable."

Cielia bit her lip inwardly.

'Did I reveal our hand too soon?'

"Please take your leave," Liage's rude words made Cielia snap.

"You'll regret what you just said."

As Cielia turned away, Liage called out to her.

"Oh, I almost forgot to mention one thing."

Cielia turned her head slightly.

"Our country has formed a military alliance with the Mu, the Kingdom of Emor, and Japan."

"What...?"

Completely caught off guard by this unexpected turn of events, Cielia was absolutely stunned.

"An attack on these three nations will be considered an attack on our country. Similarly, an attack on our country will be viewed as an attack from these three nations. Please do not forget this."

"...No matter how many unruly masses gather, our country cannot be defeated," Cielia spat disdainfully as she left the Mirishial Foreign Ministry.

'Terrible, this is so terrible. How did it come to this!?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Escort Flotilla 1 was on a convoy escort mission, currently sailing through the eastern part of the Central World.

"It's already past the scheduled time," the deputy commander voiced his concern in the CIC of the Izumo.

"Isn't it just a difference in national character? I think Japanese people are too meticulous about time," the captain responded with a relaxed attitude.

"That could be troublesome in an emergency."

"Now that we understand the dragonfolk's sense of time, we'll have to think about how to deal with them."

The crew in the CIC listened to the exchange, akin to that of a principal and vice-principal in a school drama, as if it were a customary event.

"Captain, the anti-air radar has detected something. Bearing 010, distance 70 nautical miles, altitude 3.300 feet, around 12 targets, approaching at a speed of 250 knots."

The captain took off his hat and put it back on, part of his routine.

"It seems we have guests. Just to be sure, intensify the anti-air surveillance," the captain said while remotely adjusting the direction of the anti-air surveillance cameras.

. . .

Wuji, the leader of the wind dragon riders flying at the forefront, was the first to notice the flotilla.

"I can see our destination. Follow my lead," he ordered his men through manacomm and had his partner descend.

"It's too bright."