4. Meet Ups

three

three . New Year's Eve

[ narrative , Instagram ]
JANUARY 1ST, 2024
Meeting In Person.
summer's pov

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

I KNEW I was running late, beaqcuse I had told Lauren I'd be at the mall at 8:30, and it's 8:45.

I hurriedly apply the a little of my lipgloss and throw on my favorite jacket at the moment, a cropped zip-up light orange jacket that Kate bought me for Christmas. I pair it with some black leggings and a tighter white shirt underneath so it's not hanging below the jacket. I slip on my shoes and run out the door to get to Kate's car.

"Hey girl! You look great." She compliments as I hop in the passengers seat.

"Thanks!" I smile, and she eyes me weirdly. "What?"

"You won't freak out over this Walker kid... right? I know he's like... sorta famous or whatever, but—"

"No!" I roll my eyes, "I won't. Yes, I'm a diehard Percy Jackson fan, but I won't do anything weird."

Little do they know I've already spoken to him multiple times. And I didn't freak out, so ha!

"Okay then," Kate shrugs.

We catch up a little as she drives us to the mall, and she lets me out at the doors so she can go park.

In a way, Kate's like an older sister to me. We've been friends for almost 7 years now, since we met in elementary school. We've always been practically neighbors, but we didn't start being friends until the middle of elementary school, since we're 2 grades apart.

I see Walker and Lauren, and I start to panic a little bit. What if I do freak out and say something random? Will he think I'm weird?

No, that's dumb. He already knows me.

I try not to fidget with my two braids as I walk up, wanting to seem confident. Lauren's face lights up when she sees me.

"Summer!" She squeals, and I smile as I eagerly hug her back.

Yes, we hang out all the time, but it's still exciting to see her. I smile at Walker and he smiles back at me, we decided to act like we hadn't met so that Lauren wouldn't be suspicious about anything or make any assumptions.

"Summer, this is Walker." Lauren introduces us, I turn to him fully now.

Lauren gives me a look that says don't embarrass yourself, and suddenly I'm wondering why parking a car takes Kate so long.