9. Team Bonding

nine          

nine           .          team bonding

[ narrative , messages , instagram ]
JANUARY 8TH, 2024
Nationals Announcement.
summer's pov

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

"I EXPECT you're all listening when we discuss this, yes?" Our coach says sternly, testing us.

Everyone nods, setting down their knee pads and volleyball shoes, choosing to pay full attention to the coach. Well... everyone but Alyssa.

"Hold on, I'm texting someone," Alyssa snaps, and my eyes widen.

"Excuse me?" The coach laughs humorlessly. "I'm your coach. You don't speak to me or your teammates that way. I hear it again and you're benched."

"Sorry, ma'am," Alyssa mumbles, setting her phone down.

Coach sighs, probably trying not to slap Alyssa. Me too, girl. Me too.

"So, as you all know, we won state..." she starts, and the team nods, "therefore we got into Nationals... and the last round of it takes place in Los Angeles, California. We'll be gone for about 2 days, leaving on Friday and coming back Sunday."

I turn to Kate and we smile excitedly.

"Coach, are you aware that Lauren is in LA...?" Alyssa says distastefully.

"Did anyone ask you to share your opinion on our libero?" Celeste looks around the room, pretending to be dumbfounded, "oh! Look at that! Nobody did. So shut it."

I high-five Celeste for her comeback. Take that, you rat. Not even coach likes you because she made no effort to stand up for you.

"Next time she talks about Lauren like that I'm punching her stupid nose..." Kate mumbles to me, and I try not to laugh.

"I'm with you there, Kate. She pissses me off." I reply.

"We'll be flying out on the 12th, coming back on the 15th." Coach explains, "I expect you're all respectful, kind, and don't start anything with any of your teammates while we're there. If something happens, you could be benched or kicked off the team. I will not let my team have a poor image. Got it?"

We all simultaneously say got it in a monotone voice, and Coach walks out. Belle, Celeste, Kate, and I immediately jump up and start talking about the fact that we'll get to see Lauren for 3 days.